Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer Scaling
I am trying to use GIMP to do some mock-ups for jewelry. I have all of the components scaled correctly in their own projects, and set the DPI to match in all of them but when I try to open them as layers, the relative scaling is all out of whack (shown in the second screen shot). I can do it manually using grids and rulers. but I would like a way to do it automatically on import, so that all of the pieces are ready for arrangement and I can be sure that their relative scales are all correct.

Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck eye-balling it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only measure that matters when you move an item across images (copy/paste or drag/drop) is the size in pixels. Since your screenshot doesn't include the side rulers it is difficult to tell what you missed.
A bit more on the same lines:

My guess is you have been measuring in real world units, inches or millimetres.  So the strap is say 20 mm @ 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi) and the buckle is 20 mm at 150 ppi

Make sure the size in pixels matches. The ppi does not matter too much, except for quality purposes. Drop the buckle into the strap image and providing the pixel size  match, the image keeps the ppi of the strap.

Maybe some of this will clear up misunderstandings: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp
(03-11-2024, 08:28 AM)rich2005 Wrote: A bit more on the same lines:

My guess is you have been measuring in real world units, inches or millimetres.  So the strap is say 20 mm @ 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi) and the buckle is 20 mm at 150 ppi

Make sure the size in pixels matches. The ppi does not matter too much, except for quality purposes. Drop the buckle into the strap image and providing the pixel size  match, the image keeps the ppi of the strap.

Th PPI was the same (I had seen that on another forum) but I did not know I had to set the pixel size as well. Thanks!