Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modified unknown
In windows properties they all have created xxxx, modified xxxx, & accessed xxxx.

Did Gimp ever have it? I know the most recent files are usually at the top but I'm sure it did.
Maybe my forgettory is finally going.

Smile
Not many questions answered Wink What is the actual modified xxxx ? Is earlier / now / ahead-of the computer date ?

Is the computer date correct ? (In days gone by a computer CMOS battery might die and suddenly you found yourself transported back to 1970.)

Gimp does not change dates in-its-self, it will use as a modified date whatever the computer is using.

There are some rules to note:
Transfer / Move / Windows shift-and-drag will keep an existing modified date.
Copy / Windows ctrl-drag files sets the modified date to the computer time.

You will get your unknown back to computer time when you Save-As / Export-As the files even if you have not edited then. That is the same as creating a new file.

A little animation of that https://i.imgur.com/fTJ5r95.mp4 Four files, just opened and the Exported-As with the same name. Modified is back to computer time.

Just a guess, but if you transferred the files from cloud storage, which is probably on a linux server, the file timestamps could be non-compatible with Windows file system. Who knows.
Not many questions answered [Image: wink.png] What is the actual modified xxxx ? Is earlier / now / ahead-of the computer date ? I have only seen one file in my computer that has a modified before the created date? I did answer some of your questions

Is the computer date correct ? (In days gone by a computer CMOS battery might die and suddenly you found yourself transported back to 1970.) Only time my computer time changes is daylight saving time.  It changes automatically. I have never noticed the date to change backwards, only to the next day.

Gimp does not change dates in-its-self, it will use as a modified date whatever the computer is using.
My OS (Windows) has for each file's properties the created date and time, the modified date and time and the accessed date and time....I thought things had changed in gimp is all - not recently, it has been for some time. Doesn't give a modified date or time now for files when browsing for them from within gimp
There are some rules to note:
Transfer / Move / Windows shift-and-drag will keep an existing modified date.
Copy / Windows ctrl-drag files sets the modified date to the computer time. 
But I don't get a time at all

You will get your unknown back to computer time when you Save-As / Export-As the files even if you have not edited then. That is the same as creating a new file. Maybe it is because I have been overwriting?

A little animation of that https://i.imgur.com/fTJ5r95.mp4 Four files, just opened and the Exported-As with the same name. Modified is back to computer time. I'll check it out after

Just a guess, but if you transferred the files from cloud storage, which is probably on a linux server, the file timestamps could be non-compatible with Windows file system. Who knows. All of them?
Thank you for all your time here in trying to tell me what the problem is
By the way I just made 60 new files in gimp and exported them each with a different name. No modified time

Smile
I see Dinasset had the same problem back in 2015 but didn't figure out what caused it
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12753&start=20

Smile
Irate blue text does not show up very well with a default light theme Wink

You got the same answer on pixls.us, the problem is not Gimp it is somewhere in your Windows time system. You could give pixls a bit more information if you can use a cmd terminal.

(1) Windows Explorer does not give much information.
(2) Those files show in Gimp as 'Unknown'

Starting a terminal in the folder containing the files
(3) echo %date% %time% & tzutil /g will confirm your computer system date.
(4) dir /t displays the modification date.

That shows any anomaly, if there is one.
Sorry about the color. Was trying to make my answers stand out. Maybe you can suggest a color that would be ok on light & dk background. Cannot look at Pixls just yet and will try this other later, am not on computer at the moment

Smile
Ahh, I will do that (command terminal) as soon as I know how to do it. I see you have written there what to write but where do I put that? I think I have done it before but I don't very often so have forgot.
After I get it I will post a screen shot here and at pixls

Smile
(02-18-2024, 02:28 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Ahh, I will do that (command terminal) as soon as I know how to do it. I see you have written there what to write but where do I put that? I think I have done it before but I don't very often so have forgot.

Finally found out how to do it. Sort of. Says that all is well though

Smile
(02-21-2024, 10:23 AM)sallyanne Wrote:
(02-18-2024, 02:28 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Ahh, I will do that (command terminal) as soon as I know how to do it. I see you have written there what to write but where do I put that? I think I have done it before but I don't very often so have forgot.

Finally found out how to do it. Sort of. Says that all is well though

The next step is find the folder containing the "mystery" image files. Open a terminal there. Run the dir /T listing. Compare the modfied dates, with your current computor date.

I just have a feeling that for some reason there will be a non-conclusive result. If it was me I would reset the dates using one of those free utilities mentioned earlier.
I opened the picture file and then opened the command prompt and it didn't open with 'picture' in it. How do I get it to?

Smile