Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Percentage scaling
Hello forumers, newbie here, this is first post having joined today.
Help appreciated with anything that can be done about in my opinion poor state of percentage scaling defaults that suspect is a chronic bug (for GIMP 2.10. and below).
Have looked through tutes but found nothing relevent yet.
Have used GIMP for many years on various distros, both Debian and Redhat based and always found the method used to construct the set of percentages unhelpful and time wasting.
In an ideal world would like to be able to open a new image to fill the padding space perfectly in one of the dimensions and also keep a 100%.
However let's assume this is too arbitrary, but even so, there could still be some mechanism to stop there automatically appearing what i think of as useless values, let me explain.
There may be a config file that holds previous used percentage values, but for those of us using varying sizes reusing these serves as a distraction i would like to disable. Closing the package and reopening one image usually offers about eight %ages 12.5 through 800 plus one other, perhaps from a previous user selected value but often don't believe it is. Opening another single image while package still open can give up to about ten %ages, the three more are often unhelpful because although may be from previous use, again, don't seem to be. Many a time the surplus percentages to standard 12.5 through 800 are between 90 and 110 only, sometimes there being two at say 96.1 because in reality it must have a 96.15 and a 96.16 but the last digit is not shown, this is very time wasting to scroll past for those of us who use a mouse wheel. These values almost certainly were not used recently beforehand. If something outside 90 to 110 is selected it is soon lost in favour of the 90 to 110 range, already very close to 100 anyway.
My desktop hardware is not limited by RAM capacity or CPU speed.
I assume you are talking about zooming and not scaling.

Starting with this:

Have you tried: 
  • View > Zoom > Fit image in window: the image is zoomed to fill as much of the window as possible, while remaining entirely visible

• View > Zoom > Fill window: the image is zoomed to completely fill the window so there are no margins around the canvas, but one dimension is not complete 

If needed, you can assign keyboard shortcuts to these functions.
Thanks yes, thread should be called Percentage zoom not Percentage scaling. I can see what you have illustrated with the graphics and that is very valuable for beginners to GIMP and i use "Fit Image To Window" a lot, accessed by double clicking the zoom button at top right of padding area of window.
My issue is how the different zoom levels are traversed using the little arrow at bottom left of window next to a box that has a zoom percentage figure displayed. Placing the mouse pointer on that arrow and using the mouse scroll wheel allows zoom changing between values, some of which are well spaced out and some that are not. Poorly spaced out zooms are typically clustered between 90% to 110%, two or three of them. I think it is buggy a lot of the time on 2.10 and earlier on my systems. Anyone who traverses though the zoom values a lot will understand the problem of poorly spaced values. I would like to be able to delete these zoom values without closing the window being worked on.
As far as I can tell these out-of-step values are zoom values that you used in the current session for that image (possibly due to the Fit ... function described above). If you duplicate the image, they are not transferred to the copy image, that starts with a "fresh" list of values.
(03-23-2023, 05:04 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: As far as I can tell these out-of-step values are zoom values that you used in the current session for that image (possibly due to the Fit ... function described above).  If you duplicate the image, they are not transferred to the copy image, that starts with a "fresh" list of values.

That would seem to make sense but from experience of seeing the values this is most definitely not the case the vast majority of the time.
Sometimes i might type in a new value when there are already about ten values displayed and manage to get rid of one of the unwanted values but after navigating with mouse wheel briefly to say, 100%, the new zoom value is promptly removed in favour of one of the returned clustered values in range of 90 to 110. 
Many years ago i did report as a bug but found it disappeared and then some time later it returned when used GIMP more. Think shall probably have another go at reporting unless folks can enlighten on a simple fix.
Have posted as a bug on gitlab : https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9283
A maintainer has helpfully suggested an upgrade on my package default GIMP 2.10.12 using flatpak and can confirm clustering behaviour appears to have disappeared on higher version 2.10.34.