Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picture overwrite
Hello, I need help, try to edit some jpg file, and I used overwrite from file and it overwrited the previous jpg file, not the original one, and now I have 2 as same file, how do I recover the lost jpg that was overwrited by second one? Thanks
Gimp will only 'overwrite' when you tell it to. Gimp opens files as layers and will save as an xcf file but the only way it can 'overwrite' is if you export your work to the same file name as the jpg you say you lost. You are also asked if this is what you want to do.

Check on the file manage for the file and if it;s windows there is software to recover lost files.
(12-15-2023, 08:20 PM)Tas_mania Wrote: Gimp will only 'overwrite' when you tell it to. Gimp opens files as layers and will save as an xcf file but the only way it can 'overwrite' is if you export your work to the same file name as the jpg you say you lost. You are also asked if this is what you want to do.

Check on the file manage for the file and if it;s windows there is software to recover lost files.

Hello @Tas_mania, thanks for reply me :Smile  Yes, I pressed to overwrite, from file menu, suppose to overwrite picture that I edited in the moment, nut the before one, but it was previous photo overwrite, not that one that I edit, so now I have same photo 2 times, how to find picture that was before this picture who overwrited it? Thanks
Outside of the scope of this forum. Use a system restore point. You are on your own.
Sorry, can't reproduce this. If I open Image1, the file menu says Overwrite Image1 and this indeed updates Image1 on disk. If I export to another name (for instance Image2), then the Overwrite entry in the menu disappears and the menu now says Export to Image2, and in the internal image data (gimp.image_list()[0].filename in the python console), the filename is indeed Image2.

As they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, so can you reproduce this on a test image?
Quote:If I open Image1, the file menu says Overwrite Image1 and this indeed updates Image1 on disk

I don't understand that. I need to know what is opening Image1.
Lets face it, the OP is using Gimp 3.0 Wink so anything is in the realms of possibility.

Maybe two possibilities.

The same image is opened twice, Image no, 2 is edited. File -> Overwrite is there but there is only the one file on disk
As: https://i.imgur.com/g6v57JJ.mp4

or If View -> New View is used, there are two image tabs of the same image showing. Edit no. 2 and overwrite. The edit is shown in no.1 tab but I suppose it could be overlooked.

Either way, the original image is gone for good.
So this doesn't happen to you in future. when you open a file save/export it as another file (maybe with original in the name) before you do anything. Then close it. Open the same file that doesn't say original and you can overwrite it then without losing your original.

Smile
In other word, Overwrite = Replace
Save As... and Export As... is also for you to change the name if you want a copy, if GIMP found the same name, it will ask you if you want to overwrite, if you accept to overwrite, it will overwrite => replace the existing file.
Thus there will be no more previous version, it's gone > replaced by the newer version
Patrice
There's an Export To and an Export As.  If you choose Export To it overwrites without asking.