Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TWO windows
Hi
    just  wondering is it  possible  to  get  2  windows  up  ?
Im  thinking of  using  the  clone  tool  and   getting   content  from
one  window   onto   a  pic  on the  other  window  ...

thanks  for  advice or  comments
Yes it's possible, but the clone tool won't work the way you think as there will be 2 different GIMP instances, you cannot pick a content outside the canvas with the clone tool, going to another window with the clone tool is going outside the first canvas (don't know if my explanations are clear)

Import your second "content" as layer in the first content, that will do
Patrice
(12-09-2023, 11:25 PM)silverbirch2003 Wrote: Hi
    just  wondering is it  possible  to  get  2  windows  up  ?
Im  thinking of  using  the  clone  tool  and   getting   content  from
one  window   onto   a  pic  on the  other  window  ...

thanks  for  advice or  comments

It is possible (often the question is why ?)

Gimp 2.10 retains the old multi-window mode Windows -> Single Window Mode toggles on / off

warning: You get 3 windows Tools on left / Docks on right / Image in middle. Keep this layout or when you go back into single window mode the docks are merged, and you will have to reset from Preferences. 

In multi window mode, open your two images, they open in separate windows.
Choose the clone tool and put into registered mode
Set the clone source in one image and using the other image draw in the clone

Remember image pixels-per-inch (ppi) and hence relative size comes into play.

With bits chopped out I just get into 1 minute for an imgur animation: https://i.imgur.com/39ChdgJ.mp4
MAYBE one solution is to put your pic into gimp
then create a new pic twice as wide... post your pic in there onleft
upload the other pic you want ... paste that alongside your orig pic

then clone from one pic to the other ..... Im thinking that might solve my problem
am I wrong ?
(12-10-2023, 01:36 PM)silverbirch2003 Wrote: MAYBE  one  solution is  to   put  your  pic  into  gimp
then    create  a  new  pic   twice  as  wide... post  your pic  in there onleft
upload the other  pic  you want  ...  paste  that   alongside  your  orig  pic

then   clone  from  one pic to the  other  .....  Im  thinking  that might  solve my  problem
am  I  wrong  ?

Yes, you can do that. Open as Layers, Increase the canvas size to suit. Image -> Canvas size Move a layer. Then Image -> Merge Visible. Use the clone tool in aligned mode. Do your cloning. Crop to suit.

-------
Just messing about here but do not overlook a simple Select -> Copy -> Paste As New Layer between images
Example (1) and (2) open images
(3) Pasted in Selection and a bit of move / flip  (4) Used the gimp_gmic_qt plugin and the filter  Blend (Seamless) 
All depends on what is required.

If I want to clone from one image to another I use copy and paste.  First I open both images as separate images.  Then using free select I outline the area I want to clone and then copy (Ctrl C).  Then I go to the other image and paste (Ctrl V).  It appears as a new pasted layer that I can move into position.  The pasted layer can be scaled, color adjusted or other before merging the layers.

edit:  missed that in the previous post!
thanks for advice... i tried my method and it worked well .. just had to ... I think it was.... merge down the layer.... and then the clone began to work

I ll prob use it most to get a good pic of .....hair...... to copy ....