Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the ideal tile cache size for a device with 16gb of ram?
currently i've it at 8.5 gb. Should i increase it more? What difference would i see in performance if i increase it?
(11-06-2021, 09:21 AM)anon2101 Wrote: currently i've it at 8.5 gb. Should i increase it more? What difference would i see in performance if i increase it?

I think you can take it higher if you are not browsing or something else while using Gimp. You may not see much performance difference unless you use all available ram and it will start swapping to disk. It will use your hdd as ram. Probably a solid state disk would be nearly as fast as ram. Not sure.
anyone?
All depends on use. 
The default is 50% and that works for most.  Why not open the dashboard Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Dashboard and see what you are actually using for your type of work.  Then if you are running into Swap, time to maybe increase the cache size. 

The answer is: a big as you can Smile

In practice, when Gimp requires more RAM than what the tile cache is set to, it swaps to disk and this is much slower (even with an SSD). But If you make is too big, when Gimp starts using lots of memory all other apps on the system will start swapping, and this will slow them down. So, see how much free RAM you have left when your usual apps are up (mail+browser+whatever) and this is a good starting point for your tile cache size.
(11-07-2021, 02:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The answer is: a big as you can Smile

In practice, when Gimp requires more RAM than what the tile cache is set to, it swaps to disk and this is much slower (even with an SSD). But If you make is too big, when Gimp starts using lots of memory all other apps on the system will start swapping, and this will slow them down. So, see how much free RAM you have left when your usual apps are up (mail+browser+whatever) and this is a good starting point for your tile cache size.

cool thanks!