Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-export-layers
I use ofn-export-layers a lot. Super useful plugin!
I noticed a very strange thing in windows 10 , GIMP 2.10.36

When ofn-export-layers is running (writing files) and I enter text anywhere on my computer, it adds characters I don't enter on my
keyboard like: ~ and ' and many more. So if I write "test", it adds random character in "test" which I dont really enter...

When ofn-export-layers has finished, this strange thing dissapears and I can enter text normally

Also ofn-export-layers runs very slow. Is this related to this?

I wanted to ask if the developer can tell me what this problem could be and if ofn-export-layers can be made faster (if possible).

So I need to wait to enter text anywhere until ofn-export-layers finished his work.
(02-27-2024, 01:15 AM)gimpygirl Wrote: I use ofn-export-layers a lot. Super useful plugin!

When ofn-export-layers is running (writing files) and I enter text anywhere on my computer, it adds characters I don't enter on my
keyboard like: ~ and ' and many more. So if I write "test", it adds random character in "test" which I dont really enter...

When ofn-export-layers has finished, this strange thing dissapears and I can enter text normally

I wanted to ask if the developer can tell me what this problem could be and if ofn-export-layers can be made faster (if possible).

So I need to wait to enter text anywhere until ofn-export-layers finished his work.

ofn-export-layers doesn't  even remotely handles the keyboard. All it sees are text parameters. Unless its a problem because your PC is maxed out while it runs and some keybaord drivers misbehaves?

ofn-export-layers is a "script", which means it's mostly glue binding together bits of code that do the real job (here, Gimp exporting to PNG). PNG export is slow,  especially when you use max compression settings, while high compression settings don't do much good.

So, reducing your PNG compression level to 5 or so it likely going to speed up things, while reducing the CPU load and potentially mitigating your first problem.
You could be picking-up electro-magnetic signals from who knows where? Wink  If your system really slows-down when using Gimp it's running low on memory (ram) and swapping to disk.

I also use ofn-export-layers with my own numbering mod and it is really harmless. I only use linux so don't know what happens with windows.
(02-27-2024, 01:15 AM)gimpygirl Wrote: I use ofn-export-layers a lot. Super useful plugin!

windows 10 : ~ character (or other characters) in a file at runtime can be a temporary filename, as it will disappear when the plugin is finished. Other programs use such filenames at runtime. Nothing to worry about.
(02-27-2024, 08:52 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: ofn-export-layers doesn't  even remotely handles the keyboard. All it sees are text parameters. Unless its a problem because your PC is maxed out while it runs and some keybaord drivers misbehaves?

ofn-export-layers is a "script", which means it's mostly glue binding together bits of code that do the real job (here, Gimp exporting to PNG). PNG export is slow,  especially when you use max compression settings, while high compression settings don't do much good.

So, reducing your PNG compression level to 5 or so it likely going to speed up things, while reducing the CPU load and potentially mitigating your first problem.

In windows task manager GIMP is only using 2% CPU when running ofn-export-layers so my PC is not maxed out at all.
Changing compression did not help.

Do you maybe have other ideas what could cause this problem?
(02-28-2024, 01:25 AM)gimpygirl Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 08:52 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: ofn-export-layers doesn't  even remotely handles the keyboard. All it sees are text parameters. Unless its a problem because your PC is maxed out while it runs and some keybaord drivers misbehaves?

In windows task manager GIMP is only using 2% CPU when running ofn-export-layers so my PC is not maxed out at all.
Changing compression did not help.

Do you maybe have other ideas what could cause this problem?

What image size? How many layers? What kind of image? What kind of disk (HDD, SSD, local, networked)?
(02-28-2024, 01:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: What image size? How many layers? What kind of image? What kind of disk (HDD, SSD, local, networked)?

Image attached in zip

layers: resulting layers attached in zip (0 to 128)

image size: 2560x1440, RGB 8-bit gamma integer, gimp built-in sRGB, 1 layer (original image), then added alpha layer, then executed your plugin on this input image

disk: tried both hdd and ssd. The disks are internal in my PC. No difference

The script I use is here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/attachment.php?aid=11260

The plugin is here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/attachment.php?aid=11307

Input gimp file in zip file

Attached Files
.zip   wonder boy.zip (Size: 343.52 KB / Downloads: 13)
It's not a big deal. Everything works! Blush
It will be something on my pc I think...
(02-28-2024, 05:41 AM)gimpygirl Wrote: It's not a big deal. Everything works! Blush

34 seconds on my PC (level 5), 36 (level 9).  But it export 128 files, to that's 1/4th of a second per file. Also, my CPU is up to 15%, and since I have 8 processing units and Gimp isn't multi-threading this, that means one of the processors is running full steam.
(02-28-2024, 09:19 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 05:41 AM)gimpygirl Wrote: It's not a big deal. Everything works! Blush

34 seconds on my PC (level 5), 36 (level 9).  But it export 128 files, to that's 1/4th of a second per file. Also, my CPU is up to 15%, and since I have 8 processing units and Gimp isn't multi-threading this, that means one of the processors is running full steam.

I tried ofn-tiles and there no weird characters when I enter text.