Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smudge working like paintbrush
The smudge tool on my Windows 11 PC is not picking up colour.  On first opening it does so, but then stays with that colour ever afterwards.  In other words, it has become identical with the paintbrush.

I have reinstalled several times without being able to correct this behaviour.  

Also, the latest installation has adopted Spanish as its language and I've been unable to reset it to English, partly no doubt because I don't understand the instructions I'm getting in Spanish.
(01-05-2024, 09:25 PM)john harding Wrote: The smudge tool on my Windows 11 PC is not picking up colour.  On first opening it does so, but then stays with that colour ever afterwards. 

I'm even surprised that the  Smudge Smudge Tool is picking a color, the smudge tool is to move pixels, not picking a color  Big Grin
More about it > https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-smudge.html

To pick a color there are those 2 main tools depending what you are searching for:
Select by color  SelectByColor
And the color picker  ColorPicker

Last but not least, installing GIMP, un-install it, re-install it as many times as you want will not change your GIMP profile..., it's better to delete it/ rename it and restart GIMP for GIMP to re-create a new one when GIMP is launched
Patrice
(01-05-2024, 09:25 PM)john harding Wrote: The smudge tool on my Windows 11 PC is not picking up colour.  On first opening it does so, but then stays with that colour ever afterwards.  In other words, it has become identical with the paintbrush.

I have reinstalled several times without being able to correct this behaviour.  

When the Flow value = zero or a small amount, the tool does what it says, it smudges
If the Flow value is increased then it acts like a brush and uses the FG colour.
A 30 second animation of that. https://i.imgur.com/HPZtOAr.mp4 It does not matter how FG is obtained. CTRL key makes a pick on the canvas.

You installation not working like that ? It will be some setting that you have imposed.
Try Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options -> Reset Saved Tool Options to Default values.

Quote:Also, the latest installation has adopted Spanish as its language and I've been unable to reset it to English, partly no doubt because I don't understand the instructions I'm getting in Spanish.

This could be a Windows 11 problem more than a Gimp issue. However what do you get with Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Language. You should find by position even in Spanish. This a Gimp 2.10.36 in A Win10 VM Only two languages here. Very often a long listing. All depends on how Windows is set up.

Edit: In Spanish it might look more like this:

Also you need to make sure you asked for English when you installed your gimp and not Spanish

Smile