Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having trouble using tools -- how to select and apply...?
(04-13-2017, 07:19 PM)rhimbo Wrote: Hello all,

I'm posting my question here because I inferred that a response from rich2005 on the gimpusers.com forum suggested that I do so.
:-) 

Here is the original post and comments:
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-use...ssage86876

I can't seem to get the smudge and blur tools to do as expected.  I can't get my selected area to appear "smudged" like the samples I've seen.  

Generally, I think, as a novice, I don't understand how to select and use a tool.  I think I'm doing the steps in the wrong order (selecting an area, selecting the tool, performing the tool's function).  

Could someone give me some pointers or point me to the documentation.  I love Gimp but I must say (don't mean to offend anyone) that the documentation leaves a lot to be desired.  I often try the steps exactly as they are described in documentation and can't get the expected result.

Many thanks,

The rule is simple: Gimp acts on pixels that are 1) in the "active layer", and 2) in the selection (if there is no selection then all pixels are selected). The selection is global to the image (in other words, not associated to a specific layer). A layer can be smaller than the canvas (for instance text layers are restricted to the size necessary to contain the text). If the active layer and the selection have no intersection, nothing happens.

Smudge and blur are special animals. Their effect may not be very visible with the standard settings (try boosting the "Rate").

"(selecting an area, selecting the tool, performing the tool's function)." is the right order, but there may be a few things to check (for instance, Blur and Smudge don't seem to work in color-indexed images, so what is the image mode (see the title bar) and does "Image>Mode>RGB" fixes the problem?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Having trouble using tools -- how to select and apply...? - by Ofnuts - 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM