Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a GIF with a transparent background?
(05-31-2017, 08:27 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:Appreciate the video, I understand what you're saying, as it relates to the transparency being affected by different applications, unfortunately for me, After Effects doesn't show it's transparency, ah well. You win some, you lose some.

Really there is no such thing as a transparent pixel. The transparency, the alpha channel is a mask which lets an application, a viewer or a browser show some graphic underneath. Nothing underneath, then a common way of depicting it is that checker board pattern. But it might also be just white or black, So whatever the alpha channel will still be there. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing

Last time I used anything Adobe for video (premier) was about 2000, so I do not know After Effects at all. However when it comes to transparency, video is even more picky than graphics for web use. It is very much a mask to determine what shows through.

Quote:..The replace mode, I've read up just now it replaces pixels of one colour with another, where exactly should I have done that in this GIF as opposed to what?

Ofnuts will expand but that is not as I understand it. For an animated gif replace mode does just that each frame (layer) needs to be solid and is played one after another, each frame replacing the last.

The alternative is combine when an animated gif is optimized and identical parts of each frame are removed to save file size. When played the layers join together to form a complete image.

That is why your xcf file for editing, should have been unoptimized, colour to RGB, and replace mode used.

Does that make sense, do not worry about it, keep experimenting.

Hey, Rich.

It did make sense, you're saying if combine is used, identical frames would be removed and thus playback wouldn't be as smooth but replace uses all the frames.

(05-31-2017, 08:31 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-31-2017, 07:47 PM)iZeus Wrote: Thanks for your help, from Rich's video it seems it shows up differently using different applications, in GIMP it's transparent and in other applications it's solid.
Yes, and the purpose of that little zip is to demonstrate to you that it works in your browser when you control everything, so that the problem is really with other software (or the website re-processing).

(05-31-2017, 07:47 PM)iZeus Wrote: The replace mode, I've read up just now it replaces pixels of one colour with another, where exactly should I have done that in this GIF as opposed to what?
No, it's something different here. In a GIF, the frames can be cumulative (what is show for frame N+1 is whatever you see on frame N plus some new frame overlaid over it (this overlay can be (and usually is partial), this is the "combine" mode, or not; frame N+1 totally replaces frame N (this is the "replace" mode).
Hey, Ofnuts

So combine is new layer on top of an old layer repeatedly but replace replaces each frame. I believe I understand the formula here, thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to make a GIF with a transparent background? - by iZeus - 06-03-2017, 10:57 PM