Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding Precision Setting
I recently read a tutorial where the procedure involved first converting an image to 32 bit floating point (FP) precision.  It now occurs to me that this might be wise/appropriate as a general rule.  In that, convert all images to 32 bit FP for the purpose of editing.  Do the conversion before anything else.  Then at the end of the editing pipeline the image can be converted to whatever precision is desired for the final product.

I have started experimenting with this idea but can NOT yet say I have much knowledge about the pros and cons.  However, I'm sort of guessing that one consequence of storing GIMP files (i.e., .xcf format) in 32 bit precision is that they will be larger (maybe a lot larger).  However, even if GIMP files are stored after performing editing operations in a lower precision format it might still make sense to perform edits in 32 bit FP precision.  Absent any real knowledge or experience I'd be thinking the benefit would be greater precision (? computational dynamic range) is the results.

Would love to here what real experts might have to say about such an approach.

Messages In This Thread
Question regarding Precision Setting - by ajax - 07-02-2022, 05:38 PM