Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comprehension issue
Be gentle.   I'm a 70 y/o learning gimp.  have watched 100's of videos and can navigate fairly well, however I have
some cognitive block about layer masks and understanding language such as "white-full opacity" , "black-full transparency", etc.

As seen in the attached pic, I even set up an example similar to what gimp.org had on the layer mask page.  I cannot get my head around
the terminology and what I'm seeing.   The photo on the bottom layer is shows clearly where I painted white, gray and black on the mask.

My brain is telling me that the white layer mask should have covered the photo with a white layer.  

It's a combination of the language thats confusing me, along with the idea of the mask layer.  I mostly understand layers in general, but I'm hoping
someone will help me with a clearer conceptualization of what the "white-full opacity" & "black-full transparency" really mean.   Perhaps substitute another
word or something???

Perhaps is has to do with the idea of a transparent layer actually being a layer and not invisible.    my head is spinning.

hope this is intelligible.  appreciate your suggestions
rich

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Comprehension issue - by Richie1027 - 12-12-2023, 05:08 PM
RE: Comprehension issue - by PixLab - 12-12-2023, 05:38 PM
RE: Comprehension issue - by Richie1027 - 12-12-2023, 11:27 PM
RE: Comprehension issue - by PixLab - 12-13-2023, 03:24 AM
RE: Comprehension issue - by Ofnuts - 12-13-2023, 12:04 AM