Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rectangle with round corners/SVG needed?
(08-31-2017, 02:11 AM)BenjaminGer Wrote: Two more problem to solve.

If I draw a rectangle and type in the size, let's say 150mmx150mm and then switch to the tool, which helps with positioning the size of the rectangle changes to 150,26x150,26mm. If I change it within this menu back to 150x150 and then go back to the rectangle drawing tool, then the new size shown within this menu is 149,735x149,735.

How can I fix this?

Not sure how you are moving between tools and keeping the selection settings but 

As Blighty wrote, Gimp works in pixels, so there are rounding errors when a size in millimetres does not correspond to whole pixels.

With default settings you are working with a mixture of units. The canvas resolution typically set in pixels-per-inch but your dimensions are in millimetres. 

As an example, http://i.imgur.com/ZLHSiXk.jpg

Create a canvas 150 mm x 150 mm but use millimetres for the resolution (1) in this case 6 pix-per-mm The canvas is 900 x 900 pix and Gimp gives a resolution of 152 pix-per-inch.

Change the resolution to 152 pixels-per-inch and the canvas size is now 150.06 mm x 150.06 mm or 898 x 898 pix.(2)

Of course the correct ppi to use is 152.4 but try explaining that to your printer who will probably use 150 ppi anyway Smile

Quote:2. If something looks good as pdf, does this mean that it can be printed with good quality? for example:

Using PDF for publishing is usually not a problem but what you put in, is what you get out.

Text & vector graphics are no problem since they get scaled accordingly, If any bitmaps are embedded, these need to be suitable resolution, if they get scaled up or down a great amount they will degrade.

Your PDF is card is not a large print 60mm x 90mm @ 300 ppi It will look OK when printed.
If you compare the embedded image (pulled it out with a PDF editor) you see that scaling a 2000 x 1181 pix image down to fit in the card whether you do it manually or let an application do it for you does give a little fuzziness, but not worth correcting. Be more aware of scaling an image up.

comparison http://i.imgur.com/IkIxZvU.jpg

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rectangle with round corners/SVG needed? - by rich2005 - 08-31-2017, 09:41 AM