Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
currently planning to create a dotted map of the world - any ideas here
well good evening,

again me - again say..

... on rereading i think that the method and way you, ofnuts: describe is also a very good one.

you say.. that we have to

Quote:Create/obtain a black on white or white on black image of the map at the adequate scale.
In the Channels list drag any of the RGB channels to the list below to copy it
Add a background layer (if necessary)
Add a layer and fill with the dots pattern
Layer > Mask > Add layer mask and select the channel copy you did before. If the map is black on white, tick the Invert mask (or use Colors > Invert later), the goal being to have white (where you want the dots)
Filters > Blur > Pixelize (which should apply to the mask). The block size should be identical to the dot pattern size, and aligned with it (which it will be if you don't try to do clever things). Some of the dots won't be fully opaque at that point.
Colors > Threshold on the mask to make the dots fully opaque or fully transparent

and subsquently you continue... with the following steps:

Quote:create a 20x20 image (for a 20x20 pattern of course)
Make a circle selection (with  1-2px margin if you don't want tangent dots),
Bucket-fill the selection,
Select > All and Edit > Copy
In the pattern selection select the Clipboard image or Clipboard mask patterns (always the first two)
Bucket-fill a new layer with the pattern.

well - what i am trying to find out is  - this step.:

Quote:create a 20x20 image (for a 20x20 pattern of course)

Make a circle selection (with  1-2px margin if you don't want tangent dots),

is this the method for the fill-in part .: in other words: this 20 x 20 image; is this a tiny image with the dots!?

do i here - create (in other words) a so called "bucket-fill" selection-image that helps me to fill the layer on the map!?

i am continuing to work on a solution.. therefore i work with maps that i take from here: https://simplemaps.com/resources/svg-maps

note:  i want to create a dotted map of

a. a world-map and
b. a map of Europe

so  i just dive into the work -

many trhanks for all your great hints - for your advices and your awesome help.
this forum is an outstanding place

regards, say
Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: currently planning to create a dotted map of the world - any ideas here - by sayhello - 12-02-2023, 06:03 PM