Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
image with various objects
Hello everyone
I am new to Gimp. I am not familiar with much of the terms so I couldn't research my question. I hope someone here will help me.
What is called an image with various objects of the same theme? I suppose such objects are meant for extraction as separate images to be used singularly. If so, how to do that using gimp? 

Thank you a lot

Daddaj
If you have the gimp plug-in GMIC you can use A filter in there to separate images and another one to put them together. (Pack) does that. I have only used the other filter once and cannot think of the name right now.
Layers - seamless will put images together on one layer or separate layers if you wish. I have used it after placing all images where I want them, I have found the need to be locked into place though

Image with various objects could be called many htings. One is a composite, montage

What is a photomontage? Photomontage work includes various types of image editing in which multiple photographs are cut up and combined to form one new image.

Smile
Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor and "objects" are more associated with vector applications such as Inkscape.

There is one case where you might get a series of "objects" for an animation, a "sprite-sheet" where a series of drawings are uniformly spaced out either in a strip or a grid pattern.

Separating the drawings from the background might be easy or difficult. It might be easy if each drawing is on its own layer or it is drawn on a plain colour background. The more complicated the background then it becomes more difficult to separate part of a drawing.

Gimp has some tools for this, example the foreground select tool: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...elect.html

If you can give an example of your requirements, you will get a better answer.
(01-28-2023, 09:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor and "objects" are more associated with vector applications such as Inkscape.

There is one case where you might get a series of "objects" for an animation, a "sprite-sheet" where a series of drawings are uniformly spaced out either in a strip or a grid pattern.

Separating the drawings from the background might be easy or difficult. It might be easy if each drawing is on its own layer or it is drawn on a plain colour background.  The more complicated the background then it becomes more difficult to separate part of a drawing.  

Gimp has some tools for this, example the foreground select tool: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...elect.html

If you can give an example of your requirements, you will get a better answer.

Thank you rich2005. 
I am unable to attach here any of the files I have. It says "the type of ile is not allowed". They are .jpeg and .eps files for the same image. The image contains multiple instances of one  same object or topic. eg. roses, tree branches, or a car with views from different sides. So, my purpose is to extract only one instance of such object and use it, with the ability to resize it without losing quality. It is my understanding that such images are created in such form exactly to be used for that particular purpose. I may well be wrong. 
I hope this helps. and thanks again
Quote:I am unable to attach here any of the files I have. It says "the type of file is not allowed". They are .jpeg and .eps files for the same image.

You can always zip the files and use dropbox or similar, but I get the idea from your post.

Quote:The image contains multiple instances of one  same object or topic. eg. roses, tree branches, or a car with views from different sides. So, my purpose is to extract only one instance of such object and use it, with the ability to resize it without losing quality.

Without losing quality is the problem. Any translation in Gimp, scaling, rotating, degrades the image. small adjustments might be ok, larger and images typically become fuzzy.

You might be able to use the jpeg. Very often this is a smaller "sampler" for the eps. A jpeg is a single-layer / no transparency format. You will need to remove the background for use in another image.

The eps can have better quality, you set the resolution before you import into Gimp. Once in Gimp the same rules apply as for the jpeg.

Quote:It is my understanding that such images are created in such form exactly to be used for that particular purpose. I may well be wrong.

You are correct but not by Gimp, typically you use a vector application Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator where they are indeed "objects" and you can adjust them as much as you like.

Everything has a learning curve, graphics usually a steep one. All you can do is keep trying.  This a 3.5' video with some of those concepts, not a tutorial just some hints.  https://youtu.be/rMapWeD3y1Y Gimp and Inkscape.

(01-28-2023, 11:13 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I am unable to attach here any of the files I have. It says "the type of file is not allowed". They are .jpeg and .eps files for the same image.

You can always zip the files and use dropbox or similar, but I get the idea from your post.

Quote:The image contains multiple instances of one  same object or topic. eg. roses, tree branches, or a car with views from different sides. So, my purpose is to extract only one instance of such object and use it, with the ability to resize it without losing quality.

Without losing quality is the problem. Any translation in Gimp, scaling, rotating, degrades the image. small adjustments might be ok, larger and images typically become fuzzy.

You might be able to use the jpeg. Very often this is a smaller "sampler" for the eps. A jpeg is a single-layer / no transparency format. You will need to remove the background for use in another image.

The eps can have better quality, you set the resolution before you import into Gimp. Once in Gimp the same rules apply as for the jpeg.

Quote:It is my understanding that such images are created in such form exactly to be used for that particular purpose. I may well be wrong.

You are correct but not by Gimp, typically you use a vector application Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator where they are indeed "objects" and you can adjust them as much as you like.

Everything has a learning curve, graphics usually a steep one. All you can do is keep trying.  This a 3.5' video with some of those concepts, not a tutorial just some hints.  https://youtu.be/rMapWeD3y1Y Gimp and Inkscape.

Thanks a lot ! That surely helps

Thank you Sallyanne too !
(01-28-2023, 07:44 AM)Daddaj Wrote: Hello everyone
I am new to Gimp. I am not familiar with much of the terms so I couldn't research my question. I hope someone here will help me.
What is called an image with various objects of the same theme? I suppose such objects are meant for extraction as separate images to be used singularly. If so, how to do that using gimp? 

Thank you a lot

Daddaj

If think this is a "sprite sheet".