Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.10.12 slow
I just changed from 2.8 to 2.10.12. I'm making montages from various photos and when I open them in layers they are quite jerky to move around and position and th zoom in and out is jerky as well. I never had this problem in 2.8, even with very large templates.

Any idea what the problem is?
It might be that your computer is short on resources, disk space / memory .  Operation will slow down if Gimp has to use disk when memory runs out.

Give some details of your installation (Win7...Win10 )and the size of images , templates for a better assessment.

One thing that sometimes causes problems is when OpenCL is enabled. Try Edit -> Prefernces -> Hardware Acceleration and untick OpenCL if enabled.

(11-04-2019, 08:34 AM)rich2005 Wrote: It might be that your computer is short on resources, disk space / memory .  Operation will slow down if Gimp has to use disk when memory runs out.

Give some details of your installation (Win7...Win10 )and the size of images , templates for a better assessment.

One thing that sometimes causes problems is when OpenCL is enabled. Try Edit -> Prefernces -> Hardware Acceleration and untick OpenCL if enabled.

Plenty of resources. Windows 8.1. It's a larger template for the montage (6000x8000), images are approximately 2000x3000. With 2.8 I had zero problems with such templates and images--many times even larger. Unable to find Hardware Acceleration or Troubleshoot tab in Display.

It has to be some function of 2.10 since 2.8 functioned perfectly.

I just did a search and there many complaints out there of Gimp 2.10 running much slower than 2.8.
Quote:....snip...Unable to find Hardware Acceleration or Troubleshoot tab in Display.

What "Display?" Have a look at the screenshot again and you will find the OpenCL setting in Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources

Quote:I just did a search and there many complaints out there of Gimp 2.10 running much slower than 2.8.

...and many more Gimp users who have no problems at all and have no complaints. Very often, the issue is centered around hardware, 4k monitors, some video cards. Cannot comment on Windows 8 use.

You could try a different compiled version of Gimp 2.10. there is one at http://www.partha.com 64 bit only.
If "Troubleshoot" is not listed under "Display" then you don't have the ability to change hardware acceleration (I have an Nvidia card which doesn't support it).

Since there are pages and pages of people experiencing the same problem then there is a problem. I doubt these many users are hallucinating.

I'll try another version or go back to 2.8 where the issue didn't exist.