Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all - Is there a way to get 2.10.30 to open .psd files? Version 2.10.28 will open them but as soon as I update Gimp just hangs and I get no error.

I have tried running as admin and set compatability to Win 8, 7 etc but it just hangs on opening.

Thanks
-LoneWolf 37
I could well be a bug, In a Win10 VM / Gimp 2.10.30 with limited resources, a big psd file (390 MB) with lots of layers hangs. However, smaller, simpler psd files do open.

My linux computer with Gimp 2.10.30 plenty resources and that also hangs with that big psd file, but the same file does open using an older Gimp 2.10.14 (appimage). Corroboration of the issue to a certain extent.

Might be worth a bug report, but it is going to be difficult pinning down the problem. The Gimp developers do not go out of their way to track down intermittent problems, you need to be specific. There have been plenty psd 'improvements' see: https://www.gimp.org/news/2021/12/21/gim...-released/  Who knows ?

In the meantime, at least with Windows, easy to roll back to Gimp 2.10.28

--------------
Edit: Looking at that big 390 MB psd file & running Gimp 2.10.30 with --verbose switch and it hangs here:

(file-psd:1530):
gimp_color_transform_new: using babl for 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' -> 'GIMP built-in sRGB'
gimp_color_transform_new: using babl for 'GIMP built-in sRGB' -> 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'
gimp_color_transform_new: using babl for 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' -> 'GIMP built-in sRGB'
gimp_color_transform_new: using babl for 'GIMP built-in sRGB' -> 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'

Who knows ? the new babl library ?

If I open that file in the older Gimp, convert to srgb on opening and re-export, then the new file opens in Gimp 2.10.30 However, something is lost, the new file is very much smaller @ 202 MB.
(12-31-2021, 09:22 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I could well be a bug, In a Win10 VM / Gimp 2.10.30 with limited resources, a big psd file (390 MB) with lots of layers hangs. However, smaller, simpler psd files do open.

My linux computer with Gimp 2.10.30 plenty resources and that also hangs with that big psd file, but the same file does open using an older Gimp 2.10.14 (appimage). Corroboration of the issue to a certain extent.

Might be worth a bug report, but it is going to be difficult pinning down the problem. The Gimp developers do not go out of their way to track down intermittent problems, you need to be specific. There have been plenty psd 'improvements' see: https://www.gimp.org/news/2021/12/21/gim...-released/  Who knows ?

In the meantime, at least with Windows, easy to roll back to Gimp 2.10.28

--------------
Edit: Looking at that big 390 MB psd file & running Gimp 2.10.30 with --verbose switch and it hangs here:

(file-psd:1530):

Who knows ? the new babl library ?

If I open that file in the older Gimp, convert to srgb on opening and re-export, then the new file opens in Gimp 2.10.30 However, something is lost, the new file is very much smaller @ 202 MB.

Agree completly. 

After reading your reply I found some psd files that open no problem.

Rolled back to .28.

Many thanks