Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade GIMP 2.10.34 on Ubuntu 20.04.5
Updated today via the software updater on *buntu 20.04.5 to GIMP 2.10.34, I have the PPA Panda Jim (ubuntuhandbook1) and got a tiny problem when starting GIMP just after upgrade.
It says that my GEGL is too old and GIMP refuses to start.

I solved it by opening right away Synaptic package manager, searched for GEGL, selected libgegl and marked it to upgrade,
> synaptic immediately proposed me to upgrade more packages related to gegl,
> yeah, sure I agree
> Apply button for all,
once upgrade was done > GIMP started nicely  Cool

Just sharing in case you got the same tiny problem.

Also first thing I tried first is the text color that flatpaker have problem with, Not problem detected on my side with this PPA  Big Grin (yet)

Yep, I upgraded my 20.04 kubuntu late Friday night, and got some scrambled results. My gimp-python installation gone. A bit more awake and reverted the root partition from a back-up. Installed taking more care with synaptic and all is well. Another machine with kubuntu 22.04 went a bit better. 

If you look at the dependencies, no mention of GEGL or BABL  If using synaptic then you do need to mark libgegl and libbabl for updates. edit: ..and possibly libgexiv2 & libmypaint as well.

Quote:Also first thing I tried first is the text color that  flatpaker have problem with, Not problem detected on my side with this PPA  [Image: biggrin.png] (yet)   

Very difficult to see from that video clip, but part shows the text as magenta colour which is a symptom of colour management & proof colors on.  Like this where, those first two letters should be green but the selected green is out-of-gamut.

There is also reports of bump-mapping and drop shadow causing a crash. Both work OK here.
(02-27-2023, 09:30 AM)rich2005 Wrote: There is also reports of bump-mapping and drop shadow causing a crash. Both work OK here.

I did test it, works fine here as well.

Sadly they have reduced the user working space by adding permanently this line in the layer's stack and path dialog, can't remove it...

[Image: facepalm.webp]
Maybe it's useful and you still don't know its purpose?

To quote the NEWS file:

Quote:- Eye icon header added to the item tree views to make it more obvious whereto click for item visibility and links (backported from 2.99.10)

As someone who had to explain where the chainlinks were several times, I find it useful...
(02-28-2023, 09:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Maybe it's useful and you still don't know its purpose?

To quote the NEWS file:

Quote:- Eye icon header added to the item tree views to make it more obvious whereto click for item visibility and links (backported from 2.99.10)

As someone who had to explain where the chainlinks were several times, I find it useful...

If it's "useful", it's at the wrong place or something else is missing, by the way it was something asked by a someone... 6 years ago... 1 guy 6 years ago...
What is missing? It's what we had until GIMP 2.10.18(or 20)... that's all.

Anyway, if it was useful why major software don't have it? Photoshop don't have it, Krita don't have it, Mypaint don't have it, Photopea don't have it, Inkscape don't have it, Pixelitor don't have it...
Oh yes that guy said that all those software above have it... and GIMP should have it for "concistancy" > Nobody checked if it was true... and 6 years later tadaaa.. we got a shrinked user space... one guy, 6 years ago...
Wink