Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.10 and installation problems
This is just a bit of a rant to vent my frustrations.

What I would like to do:
1) Leave my 2.8 intact and untouched
2) Install 2.10 without anything from 2.8 ie a clean install

I haven't found a way to do that. I have a portable version installed as that doesn't interfere with 2.8. But I consider this as a temporary measure (it is on a USB stick for now)

Such great software but installation is difficult. How many potential new users are put off by this and go elsewhere?

I have the "unable to open folders" problem. The suggested work around is ok for OPEN, but doesn't work for SAVE or EXPORT. I have no idea where files are being saved. Will have to do a disk search to find them. Not ideal !
(05-11-2018, 06:15 PM)Blighty Wrote: This is just a bit of a rant to vent my frustrations.

Nothing like a good rant Wink

Quote:What I would like to do:
1) Leave my 2.8 intact and untouched

That is not possible since Gimp 2.10 will uninstall Gimp 2.8

There will be ways, one is reinstall Gimp 2.8 afterwards

see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2...54#pid7754
little video demo

Quote:2) Install 2.10 without anything from 2.8 ie a clean install

This has been mentioned several times. If you do not want Gimp 2.10 to copy resources from the gimp profile, rename it, something like C:\Users\yourname\.ggimp-2.8

With Gimp 2.10 already installed, do that rename, delete the Gimp 2.10 profile - in appdata\roaming - run Gimp 2.10 to create a new default 'empty' profile. Rename the 2.8 profile back to original.

Quote:I have the "unable to open folders" problem. The suggested work around is ok for OPEN, but doesn't work for SAVE or EXPORT. I have no idea where files are being saved. Will have to do a disk search to find them. Not ideal !

I see all the reports on this, however not on my Win7 VM installation. Just wondering what the common factor is. Windows updates or maybe Home version vs Pro version. You might ask around and gather some info.