Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.10 flaws and how to fix?
1. One thing that majorly annoys since 2.10 when you paste an image, or part, the Floating layer, in old versions will always auto switch to Move mode so you move the paste until you anchor or deselect it. Now, every time I paste, it may auto-change to Move mode but when you start dragging the Floating layer, it deselects it or anchors it, so you have to Undo paste again and redo the movement or switch to Move or paste as new layer but not Floating layer. Would be nice the Move Tool to be used all the time until you manually deselect the new Floating layer.

https://i.imgur.com/Nw5kI3P.png

Trying to make some textures fully transparent, I delete the content (TGA files) by selecting it and as you can see visually the image is fully transparent. Nope, you change Alpha levels and the whole image shows as if hidden... then when I use Tools I wonder why and where they got the full images from when I deleted all in each texture. The transparency is just FAKE. Where is the way to do it, other than making an entirely new Image and saving it. In a particular case I have to modify images, cant save new images that are transparent initially. Why is this and how to fix this transparency?

Sometimes I would use PNG files that 2048x2048 are like 4 MB, I use a separate tool for simple transparency to save it, the file shrinks to 100 KB or so, why ? What is the transparency of gimp even doing?
(05-03-2019, 05:59 PM)Imc7r Wrote: Trying to make some textures fully transparent, I delete the content

Bitmap files a RGBA. If you select and area and delete, the A is set to zero, but the RGB values are not altered. You can check this by using the Pointer Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Pointer

You can select an area, bucket fill the selection with black and then delete. The RGBA values will now be 0,0,0,0
Quote:1. One thing that majorly annoys since 2.10 when you paste an image, or part, the Floating layer, in old versions will always auto switch to Move mode so you move the paste until you anchor or deselect it. ....

I can find no difference between Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10 Make a selection using (one of) the selection tools. Copy then paste as a floating selection layer. With the selection tool still active, inside the selection cursor changes, click-n-move. Of course if you change the tool then back to using the move tool...

Quote:Trying to make some textures fully transparent, I delete the content (TGA files) by selecting it and as you can see visually the image is fully transparent. Nope, you change Alpha levels and the whole image shows as if hidden...

Are you using Gimp 2.10.8 or earlier? It could be a bug that is fixed in Gimp 2.10.10 Try File -> Precision -> 16 bit floating point  see if it makes any difference. 

Quote:The transparency is just FAKE. Where is the way to do it, other than making an entirely new Image and saving it.

Remember that transparency does not exist in a bitmap, it is a mask that is interpreted by the application to show whatever is under the image.

In gimp you can edit the mask directly. Add a layer mask to your transparent image Layer -> Mask -> Add Layer Mask' Choose the Transfer layer's alpha channel option.  The mask is just a greyscale image. With the mask active you can adjust to suit using either levels or curves.