Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving TIFF Export settings - BigTIFF & Save Layers
I've just installed 2.10.32 on 64-bit Win10.

I normally export as TIFF. The new version provides BigTIFF format. However, I don't want to use this as nothing (inc. GIMP itself) seems to understand the resulting files. Similarly, I do not want to use the "Save Layers" option that was also present in earlier versions as that results in files that I cannot view or even delete.

If I uncheck these options, that choice only survives the current session. When I re-open GIMP, I have to remember to uncheck these options. This is a pain.

Is there any way to make my preferences pemanent?
Quote:...I do not want to use the "Save Layers" option that was also present in earlier versions as that results in files that I cannot view or even delete....

That was when the thumbnail option is checked and the file exported to the desktop. AFAIK that is fixed in the latest Gimp version. I think the fix is open in Gimp and re-export with thumbnails off.

---------------
As for keeping the tiff options, no load or save defaults in the export dialogue as with png. You could ask for that as an added feature for future Gimp https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Do you use better than 8 bit ?
You can use the old gimp 2.8 file-tiff-save.exe plugin. Placed in your user plugins folder it supercedes the installed plugin and has the simple interface, just the compression options. (but no 16 bit export)
(07-04-2022, 10:57 AM)rich2000 Wrote:
Quote:...I do not want to use the "Save Layers" option that was also present in earlier versions as that results in files that I cannot view or even delete....

That was when the thumbnail option is checked and the file exported to the desktop. AFAIK that is fixed in the latest Gimp version. I think the fix is open in Gimp and re-export with thumbnails off.

---------------
As for keeping the tiff options, no load or save defaults in the export dialogue as with png. You could ask for that as an added feature for future Gimp https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Do you use better than 8 bit ?
You can use the old gimp 2.8 file-tiff-save.exe plugin. Placed in your user plugins folder it supercedes the installed plugin and has the simple interface, just the compression options. (but no 16 bit export)

Thanks, Rich.

Just tried "Save Layers" using the latest 2.10.32 and, as you suggest, it does seem to work OK now. So that's one problem solved.

Re. BigTIFF, I was partially incorrect when I said nothing (inc. GIMP) was able to read this format. I retried it, and GIMP can read the format (of course!) and so can RawTherapee, but Windows 10 Photo Viewer, Photos, and Windows Explorer thumbnails can't understand it.

I'll add a request to save TIFF settings.

I generally use 16-bit integer images which are created from RawTherapee (images from RawTherapee using the 16-bit (float) option are impracticably slow to process in GIMP).