Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splash Screen for Gimp
Gimp 2.8.......

Angel Angel Angel

http://adisjp.deviantart.com/art/Gimp-splash-653235518
Not bad, but I would have shifted Wilber's head to the right (the ear pretty much on the pink dot).
(12-25-2016, 11:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Not bad, but I would have shifted Wilber's head to the right (the ear pretty much on the pink dot).

Really ??.......what about this logo I created for Gimp 2.10

Logo
(12-25-2016, 05:56 PM)adisjp Wrote:
(12-25-2016, 11:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Not bad, but I would have shifted Wilber's head to the right (the ear pretty much on the pink dot).
Really ??.......

Yes... 80% of the head is in the left half of the image, so it is not even centrered. And in photography we are taught to leave room in front of the subject... Of course rules are meant to be broken Smile

(12-25-2016, 05:56 PM)adisjp Wrote: what about this logo I created for Gimp 2.10

Logo

Very jagged edges... How did you do it?
Thank you for telling me the mistakes. I will be mindful of it next time, I did not know that rule.

The Logo is simple. 20 easy steps. Open Gimp -

1. Create transparent layer.
  2. Write GP in text tool with font of your choice (Black color - it is important).
  3. Turn font layer into a normal Layer and rename layer to "GP" (you can turn it by using scale tool, just click once on the font and click transform without scaling) - (once finished you can alter the text a bit to style it - I did by elongating the bottom line of 'G' to match 'P').
  4. Move the font GP to position of your liking on Layer & use Shear tool to give it slight angle then right click on layer & click - layer to image size.
  5. Create Border around the Layer (Black).
  6. Create New Layer & rename to "Gradient 1".
  7. Go to "GP" Layer - select GP & border using Color selection tool (hold shift and click on both) .
  8. Highlight the "Gradient 1" layer & fill with gradient of your choice.
  9. Create a new text layer writing Gimp 2.10 and use same method mentioned above to turn font layer to normal layer.
  10. Rename Layer to "Gimp", position the text to bottom then right click on layer & click - layer to image size.
  11. Create New Layer & rename to "Gradient 2".
  12. Go to Layer "Gimp" & select the text using color selection tool.
  13. Highlight the "Gradient 2" layer & fill with gradient of your choice.
  14. Hide all Layer except "Gradient 1" & "Gradient 2".
  15. Right click top layer and click New from visible & rename to "Logo".
  16. Hide "Gradient 1" & "Gradient 2".
  17. Create new layer, rename to background, fill with white & place under the "Logo" layer.
  18. Duplicate layer "Logo".
  19. Place "Logo-Copy" between "Logo" & "Background".
  20. Use Gaussian Blur on "Logo-Copy" to your liking & turn down the opacity.
  21. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Quote:Go to "GP" Layer - select GP & border using Color selection tool (hold shift and click on both)
That explains it... If you want to repaint "GP", set the alpha-lock on the layer and bucket-fill it. The pixels will keep their transparency (and, very importantly, the pixels on the edges will keep thatpartial transparency that makes everything looks smooth).

And for a slightly cleaner result, instead of creating a text layer and shearing it, do this:
  • Create the text layer
  • Hit the "Path from text" button
  • Hide the text layer (no longer needed at this point)
  • Set the Shear tool in "Path" mode
  • Shear the path
  • Select>From path
  • Add a new transparent layer and use that selection to fill with a gradient
Thank you. I will try it and post the result.

Did you try my steps ?? I would love to see the result you would get. I am not that great at color selection or logo design. I am just a beginner.
Too many wrongs with them... By the way; for 3) anything you do to a text layer (except editing the text) changes it to a bitmap layer. If you want to do it explicitly (but why?) right-click and "Discard text information". For this logo I would have used:

1. Create "GP" text layer and position
  2. Layer>Text>Text to path
  3. Shear path using Shear tool in Path mode
  4. Select>All, Select>Shrink (width of square), Select>Invert
  5. Open Path list, RIght click path, and "Add to selection"
  6. Add transparent layer
  7. Make the gradient by drag the the Blend tool across the while image
  8. Make the "Gimp 2.10" text layer
  9. Set alpha-lock on layer
  10. Select>None and make the gradient by dragging the Blend tool
  11. Layer>New from visible
  12. Filter>Blur>Gaussian blur
  13. Move to bottom, reduce opacity and shift
Done.

Great.......Its beautiful....

I could not have come that close. I will also try your steps.....