Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Versions Gimp on one computer
I have 2 different portable versions and one standard on my computer.  Only using one currently.  Want to use all of them at different times as some programs work on one but not the other.  Do they all need separated in different directories?

Also, I have the Add on Manager.  Can I set it somehow that it will work on all 3 rather than having to duplicate everything for each version?  The file is quite large with a lot of scripts, programs, etc.

Thank you for your help.
If the add-on manager is mine, it keeps the lists of active add-ons in the "Storage" directories, so these cannot be shared between all your Gimp installations.

But maybe you could explain us why you need three different versions...
IMO you may take advantage of the great flexibility of Ofnuts' Manager.
I tell you what I did.
I have two users, my primary one (Diego) and a second one (GimpTest) where I like to set up a different configuration.
I created a folder in Diego called ".gimp-2.8-full" where I stored all my Gimp Resources.
I gave access permission to GimpTest.
Then I modified the .ini file of Ofnuts' Manager in the way you may see just below.
By this way GimpTest can access the resources he wants pointing to the unique folder I have for those.

Code:
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[all]
# enable:brushes dynamics fonts gradients palettes patterns scripts
enable:brushes fonts gradients palettes patterns scripts
addons_active:{GimpUser}/{type}
addons_stored:C:/Users/Diego/.gimp-2.8-full/{type}_storage
menu_location:{<type>}
menu_entry:{type} sets...
menu_description:Manage {type} sets...
dialog_title:{type} sets manager
[brushes]
menu_location:<Image>/Help
extensions:.gbr .vbr .gih .abr .GBR .VBR .GIH
#[dynamics]
#extensions:.gdyn .GDYN
[fonts]
extensions:.ttf .otf .TTF .OTF
[gradients]
extensions:.ggr .GGR
[palettes]
extensions:.pal .PAL .gpl .GPL
[patterns]
extensions:.jpg .png .pat .JPG .PNG .PAT
[scripts]
extensions:.scm .SCM
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can do that but it won't work that well... because basically you have:

1. The Gimp profile for instance #1
  2. The Gimp profile for instance #2
  3. The common "storage" directory where two tings are kept: the add-ons, and the ".active" file that is used for book-keeping.
Assume that at the beginning you have  a Collection inactive (just in the "storage").
  • You start Gimp instance #1 and activate the Collection which is copied to the Gimp profile #1. The ".active" file is updated with Collection.
  • You exit Gimp instance #1 and start instance #2, and start the add-on manager: the Collection is marked active (you cannot activate it). But it has not been copied to your Gimp profile #2.
  • Of course you can de-activate it, so it is removed from the .active file.
  • If at that point you exit Gimp instance #2 and start #1 again, the Collection is not in the ".active" file, while it is still available in the Gimp profile #1.

That't true, Ofnuts, but the possibility to have ony one place where you store your resources (especially if they are a lot) is worth some...operative "pain"
(06-07-2017, 04:43 AM)dinasset Wrote: That't true, Ofnuts, but the possibility to have ony one place where you store your resources (especially if they are a lot) is worth some...operative "pain"

On Linux and OSX, you could have one central directory, and the varoius "storage" directories would contain links to the collections in it.
I now only have 1 version of Gimp on my computer. I put G'MIC 2.0 and 1.79 on it and I thought it worked well at first. Now neither one will work. I get all kinds of errors and the scripts stop running. I tried putting on portable versions of Gimp for the 1.79 G'Mic but none of them seem to recognize it. I want to keep a workable 1.79 as I have some scripts that will not use a later version. Does anyone know what to do to make this work?
Did you use the g'mic installers rather than the zipped versions?

For Windows, the gmic installer is very good, puts all the files in the default Gimp profile folder C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins however, there are common files between ver 1.7.9 and 2.0.2 but different versions.

My advice, purge your Gimp profile of all gmic, lots of files, so use the uninstaller(s) then check for stray bits that might remain. typically libcurl-4.dll libeay32__.dll libeay32.dll
libssh2-1__.dll pthreadGC2-w64.dll ssleay32.dll zlib1__.dll
unlikely that other plugins use these.

Now start afresh and get gmic_gimp_qt_win64.exe (assuming 64 bit os) and the last gmic_gimp_1.7.9_win64.zip - note the zip file that you get from http://gmic.eu/files/windows/

[Image: UPVt6ke.jpg]

then

1. Install gmic_gimp_qt That will go in your regular gimp profile.

2. Make a new folder for gmic 1.7.9 Can go anywhere, you have to be able to find it again, Sensibly put it in your gimp profile, I named mine plugin-legacy.

3. Open the gmic_gimp_1.7.9_win64.zip - which opens to a folder - into that folder and copy the files to the plugin-legacy folder.

[Image: qwiZMls.jpg]

4. Now start Gimp Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins (1) Make a new folder (2) Browse for the new folder (3) Should show bottom of the list (3) Remember to Ok this (4)

[Image: oFNLCdW.jpg]

5. Restart Gimp should have this: Does work I checked it.

[Image: D1z4sQg.jpg]

Make sure you are connected to the internet and update the gmic-qt filters, AFAIK the filter update for gmic 1.7.9 no longer exists
Thank you for your quick reply. I will gladly try this. Right now I can't even get qt to work on the one version of gimp I have left (win 10 64)
(06-28-2017, 04:25 PM)Pat625 Wrote: Thank you for your quick reply.  I will gladly try this. Right now I can't even get qt to work on the one version of gimp I have left (win 10 64)

Rich, I hate to be a pest, but I cannot get the g'mic qt version to work.  I did as you said and rid the plug in folder of all g'mic references and those extra dll's that you mentioned.  I put a new fresh qt on using the Win installer.  I keep getting this error message.  The dll it mentions is in the plug in folder.  Where should I put it?  Cannot find a dynamic library.
Using Gimp 2.8.22  Windows 10, 64 bit.

Attached Files Image(s)