Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 annoying problems. Help!
I have 3 annoying problems with GIMP

1. My text preference is not saving between files -> left side tool box text A -> change to my preference -> preferences -> tool options -> save tool options now 

This doesn't work.. 

2. I would like to have 300 DPI as the default and it is in the 'default image'. However! When I open my pictures it is not. And when I change it to 300 and put on a new layer
(like a scale bar) - it goes back to the old DPI again. Super annoying! It is roughly 72 DPI.

3. My layers (scale bar + sample info) not getting exported with my edited file! Again I have to merge them all to make it work - but then I cant redo anything if I want to. 
This is a new problem for me.

I export in TIF with no compression.

Hope ANYONE can help me. 

I have a deadline Sad

/Frederik
Quote:1. My text preference is not saving between files -> left side tool box text A -> change to my preference -> preferences -> tool options -> save tool options now

Gimp 2.10 is a bit strange when it comes to saving tool preferences as you now have to include Input devices.

Set up the tools the way you want to start including Font and font size in tool options. In Edit -> Preferences
In tool Options section. Untick Save tool options on exit then click on Save Tool Options Now
and
In Input Devices  section. Untick Save input device settings on exit then click on Save Input Device Settings Now

Quote:2. I would like to have 300 DPI as the default and it is in the 'default image'. However! When I open my pictures it is not. And when I change it to 300 and put on a new layer
(like a scale bar) - it goes back to the old DPI again. Super annoying! It is roughly 72 DPI.

This has been reported as a bug(s) see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/4194  As I understand it, setting the print size back to 300 ppi sticks. It should be fixed with the release of Gimp 2.10.16 edit: Windows version there as of today https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gim...-setup.exe

Quote:3. My layers (scale bar + sample info) not getting exported with my edited file! Again I have to merge them all to make it work - but then I cant redo anything if I want to. 
This is a new problem for me.

I export in TIF with no compression.

Do you export the tif with Save Layers enabled ? Works here in reverse, opening a tif and selections all pages.

Can you give more details of your workflow / images / layers
Hi rich2005,

A lot of these problems started after I updated to the newest version - downloaded today

Okay I will see if this works

Glad I'm not the one making stupid mistakes Tongue

This is a problem with the new version I think. I just updated today!

Thanks for the reply.

I use save layers but it doesn't work now. I click save the Exif data and so on - on as you did in your picture but it doesn't work

I am very happy with the software all and all!

/Frederik
Quote:I use save layers but it doesn't work now. I click save the Exif data and so on - on as you did in your picture but it doesn't work

I just installed a Gimp 2.10.16 in a Windows 10 (VM) and works here as before. A text layer loses text properties but that is expected. Looks like this. https://i.imgur.com/BpgWOuX.jpg

Difficult to give advice when the problem is not obvious. Might be something with the original tiff (or might not). Try a new clean Gimp user profile in case of old settings problems.
Rename C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 to ....GIMP\2.10-old Start up Gimp to create a new default profile.
My version is 2.10.14.

Gonna see if I can find your version!

I have append the file that I'm trying to save as a Tiff. 
The original file is a Tif and I have never had this problem before.

It also sometimes freezes if I try to save it.

And the version that I can download is 2.10.14.. 

Will try the thing you suggested.

Attached Files
.xcf   Image--01-edit.xcf (Size: 530.28 KB / Downloads: 105)
I can not see anything obviously wrong with your Gimp image, greyscale, 300 ppi  - only one layer

Still not able to reproduce the problem. I am still using Gimp 2.10.14 (linux) Try opening the attached and see what you get. I had to crop the (uncompressed) tiff down to get it under the forum file size limit. Try opening as Select All pages and see what you get.

I seem to recall from somewhere that type of scale 'overlay' made with a plug-in or script. Are you using any ?

Attached Files
.xcf   4 layers.xcf (Size: 159.7 KB / Downloads: 103)
.tif   4 layers.tif (Size: 399.51 KB / Downloads: 124)
I can open it in Gimp just fine.

But if I open it in any other program - or try and put it into word - it is just the cropped picture without the layers.

I tried this with your tif file and exporting a new tif file from the xcf file.

I have zero idea what is wrong.

I am not using any plug-in or script

Just in Layer -> new layer...
Quote:But if I open it in any other program - or try and put it into word - it is just the cropped picture without the layers.

That explains a lot. Multi-page tiff not supported by Word. There are applications that can view. Fax viewers for example and some multi-format image viewers.  What you are getting with Word is just the first page, nothing else.

If you want to continue using tiff format then do as you are already doing, maybe change the workflow in Gimp to New-from-Visible as bottom layer before exporting. (so that becomes the first page)

A better way for external applications such as Word is save as a photoshop psd. That keeps the layers (but text layers are rasterised) and usually shows correctly. Try the attached. (in Word)

Attached Files
.psd   4 layers.psd (Size: 262.32 KB / Downloads: 108)
The thing is that I have used word no problem so far with the previous version.

And psd files are not compatible with word.

I got the New-From-Visible working.

I'm just gonna go with that.

Thanks for your patience!