Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The wrong thing is transparent?
Hi all! So, I'm having a problem with transparency. I have these black text boxes that I used the screen mode to change the colors. All was fine with the black boxes after I removed the white background i could see perfectly the parchment background I painstakingly erased from around the boxes. I added a background to that. so in order the layers are: full background, text box background then text boxes. problem is it only works with the black. the colored boxes, when I remove the alpha channel, are transparent. all of them. Gray, red, blue, green, purple. All of them. 
so my question here is how can I fix that? 

here's some screen shots of a box. You can clearly see bits of the outer edge where the layer underneath shows through. the green is meant to be quite darker but because of the transparency, it doesn't cover the box as intended and it melds into the background in places.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What are the layer modes and opacities of each layer?
I took a white page with just the boxes and used screen to change the colors only, saved them as a png, once they were opened as layers they were all set to normal. I did also try to change the mode to see if i could get it less transparent but none of them worked.

But currently all layers are set to normal and 100 opacity
I looked at your question and just could not determine the problem from either the description or the screenshots. The high resolution and black theme do not help either.

If you look at 'help-black' screenshot and the layers dialogue. The layer Page01.png is active, mode / opacity normal/100 Then Page01.png #1 is it a copy (although a copy would have copy in the layer name) fully or partially transparent difficult to determine. In the Tools dock/tool options, no information there, move tool active. The FG colour is set to (looks like) one of the greens from the base layer.

The help-green screenshot raises some questions. The active layer is now that 'transparent' Page01.png #1 layer (again Normal/100) Then in the Tool dock / Tool Options no active tool, some GEGL operation has been used. Which GEGL Operation did you use ?

From your description "so in order the layers are: full background, text box background then text boxes." What text boxes ? Is that the Page01.png #1 layer with text merged into it ?

It might be useful if you could mock up a small part of the image with the text layer, anything that will help decipher your post and show the intended outcome.
A cropped section about 500 pixels square, saved as a Gimp .xcf.gz file should be small enough to attach to the forum. Maybe something like this: https://i.imgur.com/GdBQjwp.jpg
So, the text is meant to be written in after printing, its basically just a border frame. I started by assembling the frames in paint, in black. Once I did that, I brought it over to gimp. at that point I needed to change the boxes to the theme colors I needed, and saved them individually after using screen mode to adjust the colors. the square in the photo looks like this but in black.
https://imgur.com/ZuRad2y
I now have all of these by using the screen mode, and saving with the white background however, once I re-opened them and removed the alpha channel they were also transparent.

Also, I copied the black originals, outside of gimp in my files, to keep track of which pages were done as they were colored. Every one I upload has that, I saved each layer needed, separately so they could be interchangeable. the only thing staying the same is the middle layer, which i hoped to attach to each of the top layers but so far only one color works.

And lastly, i didn't use any GEGL operations, I just now googled what it was and where to even find it. lol
Sorry, but I still do not know how / why you are using a screen layer mode for colouring. I know the how, it is the why bit Wink 

If the background shows through it is because the 'black' still contains a proportion of white. The black becomes semi-transparent on color-to-alpha or similar.

Some possible methods shown here: https://youtu.be/NgKV055ADGc  duration 4 minutes

I am not saying use this method, Gimp is very flexible, there are always several methods to do anything. You might be able to 'cherry-pick' parts of it. Hope it helps.
Finally, somewhere you will have used a GEGL operation. 75% of Gimp is now using GEGL in place of the old gimp plugins.
Because I was trying to change all of the black, to a different color without physically drawing it out, using the fill option makes some of the detailed lines too thick, and I'm not really sure why but in some cases filled in way more than just the black. it was really weird. I tried googling how to change one color to another and adding a layer, changing that plain layer to screen mode, and changing the FG color was what i came up with.

also, I'll watch the video and see if anything helps. And yea, I get that but honestly I use gimp as an advanced paint lol so if its not like a button I can see without digging for it i didnt use it lol

I literally never would have thought of that!! It works, and now I'll be hunched over my keyboard for days fixing 351 pages I messed up in the first place! Thank you for the help!!! Smile