• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accent Gimp
Hello   Smile

I would know if I could make accents on the words
with text editor in Gimp ( grave, circumflex, acute)    Huh

Thanks !

Regards
Lets say you want to enter the character é

This has the unicode hex 00E9 (or decimal 0233 - but Gimp uses hex, not decimal).

Method 1
While inserting text, press Ctrl-Shift-u (Gimp displays u); followed by the hex code; followed by Enter.
Important: for the hex codes use lower case, not upper case eg use e not E

Method 2
Open the windows character map. Select the character. Copy. In Gimp, paste.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

Are you really using a 32 bit Windows? If the latest version of Gimp does not work go back to version 2.10.6-1

Another example of unicode.

If a lot of text to enter, copy and paste from word processor is favourite.

For the occasional character/symbol use a unicode. You can find the codes on pages like this:  https://www.rapidtables.com/code/text/un...cters.html

In the Gimp on-canvas text dialogue type in a shift-ctrl-u followed by a four character code. Hit the enter key and continue the text. 

(08-17-2019, 10:53 AM)Van Wrote: Hello   Smile

I would know if I could make accents on the words
with text editor in Gimp ( grave, circumflex, acute)    Huh

Thanks !

Regards

You can enter any Unicode character, using your keyboard, or some alternate input method (Alt+unicode) or cut and pasting fro a character table (I use sites that show Unicode characters). This includes accented letters (*), but also non-latin alphabets or ideographic systems, and even emojis, if your font supports them.

(*) I know from experience that accented letters that are a single character (for instance, ê) work, but I don't know if combined diacritics (for instance, e+^) work correctly
(08-17-2019, 08:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can enter any Unicode character, using your keyboard, or some alternate input method (Alt+unicode) or cut and pasting fro a character table (I use sites that show Unicode characters). This includes accented letters (*), but also non-latin alphabets or ideographic systems, and even emojis, if your font supports them.

(*) I know from experience that accented letters that are a single character (for instance, ê) work, but I don't know if combined diacritics (for instance, e+^) work correctly

Blighty and Rich2005, I understand the instructions given by you, ctrl + shift + U followed by the number:
10ctrl + shift + u00b0 and I'll have 10º.

But I always used Alt+Code straight from the keyboard.  Confused
To get the same result above I just had to type 10 + Alt + 167 and it would also have 10º.

My keyboard accentuates smoothly characters like `^ ¨, àôü, just using the keys, and in any other program I use Alt + Code without any problems.

So I thought that after yesterday's power outage my Gimp could have somehow corrupted itself and created that impossibility.

Well, I checked and it is also impossible to use Alt + 167 with Inkscape.
Thank you guys.

PS: Not conformed to this limitation of Gimp, even the most Jurassic editor that can exist allows the use of Alt+Cód, Mais c'est la vie.
(09-18-2019, 04:43 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 08:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can enter any Unicode character, using your keyboard, or some alternate input method (Alt+unicode) or cut and pasting fro a character table (I use sites that show Unicode characters). This includes accented letters (*), but also non-latin alphabets or ideographic systems, and even emojis, if your font supports them.

Blighty and Rich2005, I understand the instructions given by you, ctrl + shift + U followed by the number:
10ctrl + shift + u00b0 and I'll have 10º.

But I always used Alt+Code straight from the keyboard.  Confused
To get the same result above I just had to type 10 + Alt + 167 and it would also have 10º.

My keyboard accentuates smoothly characters like `^ ¨, àôü, just using the keys, and in any other program I use Alt + Code without any problems.

So I thought that after yesterday's power outage my Gimp could have somehow corrupted itself and created that impossibility.

Well, I checked and it is also impossible to use Alt + 167 with Inkscape.
Thank you guys.

PS: Not conformed to this limitation of Gimp, even the most Jurassic editor that can exist allows the use of Alt+Cód, Mais c'est la vie.

The Alt-[numbers] entry dates back to PC-DOS 1.0 (and perhaps alredy existed in one of its predecessors). Not a feature of apps at the time, but squarely entrenched in the keyboard drivers, so all apps would have it natively.

On modern OSes, this entry doesn't make sense because you need to support much more than 127 non-ASCII characters.