Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Glow to png
I'm trying to design my own smart watch faces, for my watch, which I've done before, by copying images, and editing them. I've found a png watch face I want to use, but on the background I'm using, it doesn't stand out very well, so I want to add a glowing effect to the image. Can this be done? I've seen tutorials, on creating text, and giving it a glow, but this image is already created.
It is usually done on a layer with transparent background. It would be better if you could post your image here or dropbox if it is a large file size.
(06-05-2020, 11:38 AM)rich2005 Wrote: It is usually done on a  layer with transparent background. It would be better if you could post your image here or dropbox if it is a large file size.

Attached Files Image(s)

You are half way there, already has transparency.

One way is:
Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection which selects the numbers and ticks. (If you do not want the ticks paint the selections out with quick mask)
Make a new transparent layer Layer -> New Layer
Choose the glow colour, depends on choice and eventual background, I used a neon blue-ish but a gold-yellow might work
Edit -> Stroke selection with a suitable size, for this small image 2 or 3 should work.#
Turn selection off Select -> None
Give the layer a small 2 or 3 Gaussian blur
Drop the blur layer under the dial
Merge down
Export as a png to save the transparency.

Most of that in a video https://i.imgur.com/GFg7lGE.mp4 might help
(06-05-2020, 01:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You are half way there, already has transparency.

One way is:
Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection  which selects the numbers and ticks. (If you do not want the ticks paint the selections out with quick mask)
Make a new transparent layer Layer -> New Layer
Choose the glow colour, depends on choice and eventual background, I used a neon blue-ish but a gold-yellow might work
Edit -> Stroke selection with a suitable size, for this small image 2 or 3 should work.#
Turn selection off Select -> None
Give the layer a small 2 or 3 Gaussian blur
Drop the blur layer under the dial
Merge down
Export as a png to save the transparency.

Most of that in a video https://i.imgur.com/GFg7lGE.mp4 might help
Thanks very much, that's excellent. They will show up, as they go on top of a darker blue layer. Thanks again. I tried adding the image to imgur, and although it goes through the motion, nothing seems to be there.