Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Outline / Sticker Effect
I would like to learn how to add an outline effect to images and fonts as seen in the example -- not around each letter, but around the entire word, for a sticker-like effect.

Desired outline effect result:
[Image: PutnamGator_outline.gif]

Starting textual image:
[Image: PutnamGator.gif]

Thank you in advance.
The basics are:

1. Make a selection from the text layer Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection
2. Make a new transparent layer for the outline.
3. Grow the selection by a suitable amount. Select -> Grow This depends on the Font and Image size.
4. Stroke the selection to make the outline Edit -> Stroke selection

However, your image shows that a little bit of distortion has been applied (deliberately or accidentally) You might/might not want to add another couple of steps

This series of images showing the process.
text and selection from text https://i.imgur.com/xKaiQAm.jpg
distort settings & Selection filled https://i.imgur.com/4WRZnaR.jpg
grow the selection & Stroke the selection https://i.imgur.com/lldH3Jn.jpg

[Image: OpFKMgv.jpg]
I've downloaded and installed GIMP and followed your instructions -- thank you so much! The only issue I'm having is that while the font is antialiased, the stroke is not, despite me ticking the antialias box:

[Image: GIMP01.gif]

Actually, I did a little Googling and found out that if I change the stroke to an odd number, the antialiasing would work, and surprisingly it did, though not as nicely as on the original text.
That is good. If you need anti-aliasing with an 'even no.' line size. Set the paint tool to required size and use that in the stroke selection dialogue.

The only other thing I would suggest is use as many layers as required. Easy to delete a layer than try and fix a merged layer.
Thank you so much Rich - today is my first day with GIMP. I've actually just used an ancient version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro since I never coughed up the coinage for Photoshop - and I'm not familiar GIMP yet. Hopefully it's intuitive, but it's nice to know how helpful this forum is, as I'm sure I'll be back!
Deborah

(08-20-2018, 06:54 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That is good. If you need anti-aliasing with an 'even no.' line size. Set the paint tool to required size and use that in the stroke selection dialogue.

The only other thing I would suggest is use as many layers as required. Easy to delete a layer than try and fix a merged layer.

Thanks for suggesting this, it gave much better results: https://imgur.com/xDU4IuD
My technique:

1. Get a path on the initial text (if still a text layer,  Layer>Text To path, otherwise, Layer>Transparency>Alpha to selection to get a selection and then Select>To path|
  2. Add a new transparent layer, remove the selection if any, and Edit>Stroke path in Line mode, with line width= twice the distance of the sticker border. At that point you can also choose if the sticker has pointy  or only round/beveled corners This will give you a very "fat" outline of your text., 
  3. On that outline layer: Layer>Transparency>Alpha to selection, and then Select>To path
  4. Add a new transparent layer, remove the selection, and Edit>Stroke path in Line mode, with a small line width (1-3 pixels)
  5. You may need/want to clean off the resulting drawing f you don't want "holes" in the layer (like in the capital C's below)

(08-20-2018, 07:57 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: My technique:

1. Get a path on the initial text (if still a text layer,  Layer>Text To path, otherwise, Layer>Transparency>Alpha to selection to get a selection and then Select>To path|
  2. Add a new transparent layer, remove the selection if any, and Edit>Stroke path in Line mode, with line width= twice the distance of the sticker border. At that point you can also choose if the sticker has pointy  or only round/beveled corners This will give you a very "fat" outline of your text., 
  3. On that outline layer: Layer>Transparency>Alpha to selection, and then Select>To path
  4. Add a new transparent layer, remove the selection, and Edit>Stroke path in Line mode, with a small line width (1-3 pixels)
  5. You may need/want to clean off the resulting drawing f you don't want "holes" in the layer (like in the capital C's below)

I've tried this a few times, but am getting lost somewhere along the way. I can visualize what's supposed to happen, but am not able to get the fat outline of the text result. I'm definitely going to have to check out some videos and learn about layering...
Make a screenshot of where you are stuck (image and layers list) and we may able to help.