Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add channels: edit normal and diffuse simultaneously?
Is it possible, perhaps by adding extra channels, to edit the normal map and the diffuse map simultaneously?

For example, let's say I have a collection of "stamps" that have both a diffuse and a normal. And I want to place these stamps all over my texture at various angles, scales, and positions. Sometimes I'll be using masks to control how the stamps overlap each other, etc.

The problem is, if I just have the diffuse and the normal open as separate images and try to make identical stamps on each, I won't be able to get them in the same position on both images. If they aren't in *exactly* the same spots then it will look terrible in game.

So, I tried adding 4 extra channels to my image, correspond to the nR nG nB nA, but I can't figure out how to copy the data from the separate Normal image into the appropriate channels. And I'm not sure if it will behave as intended once I do.

Does anyone know how to do this / if it's possible?

I'm using 2.10.8.
Quote:Is it possible, perhaps by adding extra channels, to edit the normal map and the diffuse map simultaneously?

I do not know of anything that will allow you to edit multiple layers at one time.

Quote:The problem is, if I just have the diffuse and the normal open as separate images and try to make identical stamps on each, I won't be able to get them in the same position on both images. If they aren't in *exactly* the same spots then it will look terrible in game.

You can however group your images and transfer the group from one image to another.

Copy does not work but click-and-drag does.

Select the layer group, click on it and drag to the "other" image tab

That makes that image active, continue the drag into the canvas.

Providing the layers in the layer group are linked, the group will move as one entity.