Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AddonCollection Manager Problems
I don't know what it doesn't work for you (on 2.8), but of one thing I'm pretty sure:
if you follow the steps I indicated on my first post operating on samj's pack 2.10.4 you will have a running environment.
But remember: to start properly you should NOT have any resource directly inserted into the standard Gimp resource folder, you should have all your xxx_storage folders with a clean .active file and you should use the ofnuts' manager for activating them (start one at a time and check), if you use my .ini file you will see the various resource managers under Help.
That's for all resources except .py plug-ins: they should also not be inserted directly into samj's folder pack, but linked using the usual gimp function Edit(Preferences
The log is fine and the pluginrc files (they are identical) show that the varoius managers are set up. What could set you off is that only the Scripts manager is in the Help menu by default. The other managers are in the menu of the respective add-on lists. The menu is start by clicking on the triangle icon (below, it is the icon under the "Close Window icon", half hidden between the open menus).

This can be changed if you have a .ini.
Well, I have tried all of your instructions, everybody and I appreciate the help. I deleted Gimp 2 and save the user profile. I reinstalled Gimp, Put the addon manager and .ini file in the plug in folder. Had all my regular files for this completely empty, and made all the storage folders. Now the sets show up on the Help menu as they should. However, it looks like in each folder, everything is already selected and I can't get them removed. Nothing in the storage folders is checked to appear when I first open Gimp. How can I get them to display properly. It takes forever to load the program as it is adding everything .
To reset the storage:
  • Remove everything that is already in your in  *_storage folders  from the matching "live" folders (the content of the "live" folder is always a copy of the managed things).
  • In each of the *_storage folders, delete the .active file if present.
As well as Ofnuts comments

Quote:I will not try adding it to 2.10 as I need to find out what is wrong with the 2.8 first.  Very, Very frustrating. 

I do not have any zipped folders or files in the Storage folders. Is that permissible?

Lets try the absolute basic. Just the python plugin NO ini file.

Get a sample folder from https://www.dropbox.com/s/sghmugv3zkw6pd...e.zip?dl=0  

A 3 minute demo, if you can get this working, it might shed some light on the matter.

(07-17-2018, 05:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: To reset the storage:
  • Remove everything that is already in your in  *_storage folders  from the matching "live" folders (the content of the "live" folder is always a copy of the managed things).

I have checked for this since the beginning of the problem.  The live folders were empty and no active files in the storage folders.  There was nothing to reset.
(07-18-2018, 07:16 AM)Pat625 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 05:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: To reset the storage:

I have checked for this since the beginning of the problem.  The live folders were empty and no active files in the storage folders.  There was nothing to reset.

Rich, again I deleted and reinstalled 2.8.22 and then did as you requested and demonstrated in your video.  I was able to access the brushes from the brushes dialog box as it was supposed to work. Hallelujah!  Should I continue to do that with all the folders now?  In the past, I accessed the sets from the Help Menu, but I don't mind doing it this way since it works!  Where do I click to get the font sets to appear?
That just a proof that it does work on your installation. Generally, never necessary to reinstall Gimp, that a Windows thing. The problem most of the time is in the Gimp profile, which never gets uninstalled Wink

Brushes, Fonts, Gradients, Patterns -all the same way, right click in the relevant dialogue.

The only different one is scripts and that is in the Help menu

I just have the feeling that the resources you used were not zipped. If you get a chance look at the long boring video I referenced earlier.

Once you get them up and working, then you can look at using an ini file. Have to confess I have everything in a Tools -> Resources entry Wink
(07-18-2018, 02:08 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That just a proof that it does work on your installation. Generally, never necessary to reinstall Gimp, that a Windows thing. The problem most of the time is in the Gimp profile, which never gets uninstalled Wink

Brushes, Fonts, Gradients, Patterns -all the same way, right click in the relevant dialogue.

The only different one is scripts and that is in the Help menu

I just have the feeling that the resources you used were not zipped. If you get a chance look at the long boring video I referenced earlier.

Once you get them up and working, then you can look at using an ini file. Have to confess I have everything in a Tools -> Resources entry Wink

Rich, when I first set it up I used the instructions from the tutorials which used the .ini folder also.  All the sets were in the Help Menu.  Nothing was zipped, and it worked!  Has something changed?  Is it better to zip?  I don't really need them in the Help Menu, just curious.

BTW, I watched your video, there is nothing boring about it. Very informative, and helpful. Thank you very much for all your help.
The page with all the info is here: http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/managementtools.shtml

Quote:-For each add-on type, there is a "storage" folder (ie, one for brushes, one for palettes...).
--This storage folder will in turn contain:
----Child directories with one or more add-ons (each such folder is an individually selectable set).
----ZIP files with one or more addons (each such ZIP is an individually selectable set).

By all means use folders for collections, scripts where that does not make any sense, zip them individually.

If you find the folders do not show up, and I think fonts are such a case, then resort to zipping. Although I use linux, at least Windows has that useful "Send to ...compressed folder" thing.

When it comes to Gimp 2.10 exactly the same applies. For the (eg) brushes_storage goes in the Gimp profile folder. C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ (except for portable Gimp versions where there is a special folder)