Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on complex background removal?
I need to extract red cell tower from this image. What is the most effective way to remove background?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Given that it is mostly straight lines, doing a clip selection with the path tool is probably the best solution. Yes, upfront it is obvious that it will take time, but I don't think that any other solution is going to give acceptable results in finite time. Bonus points for the safety ladder againt the grass Smile
Maybe you can select part of the complex by using :
G'Mic-Qt / Repair / Local Similarity Mask
I've used following parameters :
center x 43.30 y 46,92 (you can move the white dot around by using the mouse)
keep 74
reject 88
channels Lightness
Steps 100

part of the job is done :

I think that however you do it will take time. However, a possible suggestion. Use G'MIC Inpaint to remove the tower from a copy of the image and then put that copy into difference mode. From this you can either derive the picture of the mast or make a mask to use on the original.
The reason I suggest this is that masking does not need to be that precise for Inpaint to synthesize the background.
david.
Quote:Use G'MIC Inpaint to remove the tower .....The reason I suggest this is that masking does not need to be that precise for Inpaint to synthesize the background.

...providing the OSX/MacOS user can find a Gimp / Gmic combination that works.
(08-15-2020, 04:38 PM)rich2005 Wrote: ...providing the OSX/MacOS user can find a Gimp / Gmic combination that works.

This can be achieved by manually compiling Gimp and Gmic from sources. I've used Macports to compile and install Gimp, and then built Gmic with the help of the following script.