Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice requested on GIMP version to install
I think Exec=home/david/GIMP-2.10.21/squashfs-root/AppRun is the one you want but with a leading /

Exec=/home/david/GIMP-2.10.21/squashfs-root/AppRun
Rich,
I tried changing to Exec=/home/david/GIMP-2.10.21/squashfs-root/AppRun
without success. Also changed the Icon line to the full path: Icon=/home/david/GIMP-2.10.21/squashfs-root/gimp.png
Again no change
In addition I put a copy of the file into usr/share/applications to see if making it global would make any difference.
Checked again (several times) that it runs OK in the terminal. I am totally mystified by this.
david.
Promise - one last try Wink    Hate to be beat. 

The problem might be the .desktop file you made is not executable.

A bit of fidle but I got menulibre (from a 18.04 deb) installed in 20.04

The usual (same as alacarte ) never creates with the correct menu name, but that fixed from the applications menu.

The attached as close as I can get to your installation. You will need to edit the paths a little. As before goes in ~/.local/share/applications

Attached Files
.zip   GIMP-2.10.21.desktop.zip (Size: 448 bytes / Downloads: 134)
Rich,
You are a miracle worker!!!
I had made the .desktop file executable and re-checked after I uploaded it to ~/.local/share/applications
I can't see what you have changed - but it now works!
Many thanks,
david.
Rich,
After you sorted me out with the launcher for GIMP, I found I could download Menulibre for 20.04 using Synaptic.
I tried to create a launcher for FreeFileSync and of course failed!
This morning I deleted the non-working files it had created in ~/.local/share/applications and in temp and was able to create a correct launcher without problems.
david.