Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning a scan of music
Hello, I have been scanning my music A4.
I cannot find a good OMR so im scanning and cleaning up the scan.
All of the scans are 1200 dpi tiff at 1 bit.
im finding quite a few small specks. it there anything that can detect small specks and get rid of them?
Any speck that isn't connected to anything.

Regards

Warren.
(11-18-2021, 06:59 PM)warrentdo Wrote: Hello, I have been scanning my music A4.
I cannot find a good OMR so im scanning and cleaning up the scan.
All of the scans are 1200 dpi tiff at 1 bit.
im finding quite a few small specks. it there anything that can detect small specks and get rid of them?
Any speck that isn't connected to anything.

Regards

Warren.

Hmm, I'm not sure, but maybe this topic can help you:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Select...all-Specks
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Hello Krikor, thank you for the link.

The grow by 1 delete seems to be ok, but it removes 1 of everything so not 100%.
If only there was something that would detect a user imput number of floating pixels (pixel not connected to anything) and select. ie 1 pixel of one color, 2 pixels of one color etc.

Warren.
Can you post a sample? I can't picture out if specs are outside the writing, in between or so...

Did you tried?
Select the white color outside
'Select ➤ Remove Holes` , then fill with white
(11-24-2021, 08:57 AM)warrentdo Wrote: The grow by 1 delete seems to be ok, but it removes 1 of everything so not 100%.

Since it is a 1 bit image - just black and white pixels, a grow by 1 / BG fill de-selects single pixels then a shrink by 1 / FG fill restores the body of the image. Any spots remaining, repeat the process.
-----
Otherwise
I would be inclined to convert to RGB and use something like the gimp_gmic_qt plugin which has a clean scan filter.
(11-24-2021, 09:26 AM)PixLab Wrote: Can you post a sample? I can't picture out if specs are outside the writing, in between or so...

Did you tried?
Select the white color outside
'Select ➤ Remove Holes` , then fill with white

it just the little small dot that are a pain. Some granted will not be visible, but some are.
Warren.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Obviously not 1-bit since it comes from your computer screenshot function, the png is RGB. However 
If using Windows or linux then the gimp_gmic_qt plugin from http://www.gmic.eu

Put the 1-bit tiff image(s) into RGB mode Image -> Mode -> RGB
This the repair scanned documents gmic filter, settings are default except I bumped smoothness up from 3 to 4 Play around with the settings,

which gives this, presumably you will not have the red mark-up on your scans.