Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alignment tool layer lock 2.10.10
In GIMP 2.10.10 layer locking works fine with the move tool, ie all locked layers are moved, but has no apparent effect using the Alignment tool, where only the currently set layer is aligned.
Is this a 'feature' or a bug?
Position-locked layer cannot be moved, so I assume you are talking about the chain links (next to the eye icons).

There are two different concepts here: the chain links link together items (layers, but also channels and paths) to which the same transform (move, rotate, perspective, scale, etc...) is applied. In most transforms the preview applies only to the active item, and is applied to other linked items when "committing" the transform. The behavior of the move tool is a bit special in this regard, since the preview applies to all concerned items.

In the align tool, things are bit different since the linked objects can move in any direction. You have to select the layers to align in the alignment tool itself (marked with squares in the corners)
(06-20-2019, 07:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Position-locked layer cannot be moved, so I assume you are talking about the chain links (next to the eye icons).

There are two different concepts here: the chain links link together items (layers, but also channels and paths) to which the same transform (move, rotate, perspective, scale, etc...) is applied. In most transforms the preview applies only to the active item, and is applied to other linked items when "committing" the transform.  The behavior of the move tool is a bit special in this regard, since the preview applies to all concerned items.

In the align tool, things are bit different since the linked objects can move in any direction. You  have to select the layers to align in the alignment tool itself (marked with squares in the corners)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Smile

I can work around my issue by using 'Move' on chain locked layers to an exact alignment position.
(06-20-2019, 09:25 AM)FatAliB Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 07:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Position-locked layer cannot be moved, so I assume you are talking about the chain links (next to the eye icons).

There are two different concepts here: the chain links link together items (layers, but also channels and paths) to which the same transform (move, rotate, perspective, scale, etc...) is applied. In most transforms the preview applies only to the active item, and is applied to other linked items when "committing" the transform.  The behavior of the move tool is a bit special in this regard, since the preview applies to all concerned items.

In the align tool, things are bit different since the linked objects can move in any direction. You  have to select the layers to align in the alignment tool itself (marked with squares in the corners)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Smile

I can work around my issue by using 'Move' on chain locked layers to an exact alignment position.

For this, I use guides, and snap the layers individually to the same guide....