Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon photos editing issues
Hello....I am using Mac Catalina 10.15.7

After I edit a photo using Amazon photos online editor, I can no longer edit photos via GIMP 2.10.32.
Once I download a photo that has already been edited in Amazon, regardless of the photo type, Gimp will load the photo but it will not be editable and I basically have to shut down the program. Saving the photo with a new name or as a different file type makes no difference as if the photo was locked.

The picture either opens with the Clone pointer without the circle displaying the size of the clone and changing the clone size does nothing and the you have to close down the program. The alternative is that the program opens and the picture is not displayed but rather a blank background ( image attached)

Any thoughts or ideas is appreciated

thanks
rick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What type of file? You did not screenshot the layer stack ➤ In the end better to post that photo in a zip file, to be sure it would not be altered by a server, for us to test
File is a .png but files type makes no difference that I can tell

Once the pic is loaded, I can not change display and view anything other than the pic

I can send the file in .zip but could not figure out how to attach to this post

rick
(08-29-2022, 04:38 PM)PixLab Wrote: What type of file? You did not screenshot the layer stack ➤ In the end better to post that photo in a zip file, to be sure it would not be altered by a server, for us to test

The layer stack is there (bottom right) but strangely empty.
(08-29-2022, 12:58 PM)rhorgan Wrote: Hello....I am using Mac Catalina 10.15.7

After I edit a photo using Amazon photos online editor, I can no longer edit photos via GIMP 2.10.32.
Once I download a photo that has already been edited in Amazon, regardless of the photo type, Gimp will load the photo but it will not be editable and I basically have to shut down the program. Saving the photo with a new name or as a different file type makes no difference as if the photo was locked.

The picture either opens with the Clone pointer without the circle displaying the size of the clone and changing the clone size does nothing and the you have to close down the program. The alternative is that the program opens and the picture is not displayed but rather a blank background ( image attached)

Any thoughts or ideas is appreciated

thanks
rick

The question is: where is the photo file? I suspect it's on the cloud somewhere and not really local, and something is emulatnig a local filesystem using remote/cloudy Amazon storage. So load times become noticeable (so until the image is fully transferred from Amazon it has no layers), and Gimp may even think the file is read-only. There is also the possibility that Gimp does random accesses inside the file (not a problem with a true disk file) and this doesn't work too well with remote storage.

So:

1. Make sure that the file is local, and it it is not, make a local copy
2. Try on the local copy
(08-29-2022, 07:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 04:38 PM)PixLab Wrote: What type of file? You did not screenshot the layer stack ➤ In the end better to post that photo in a zip file, to be sure it would not be altered by a server, for us to test

The layer stack is there (bottom right) but strangely empty.

I can only see the Paths window. How to know that the Layers window is empty?
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(08-29-2022, 07:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The layer stack is there (bottom right) but strangely empty.

It's empty because it's the path dialog which is in focus, not the layer's dialog Wink
Somewhat loathe to comment on this as: it is MACOS / it is Amazon Cloud and I do not have either Wink

I think Ofnuts is correct, the file is 'stuck' on Amazon.

In theory Gimp File -> Open Location will take an URL and open it. This has not worked (various linux versions) for many years. Give it a try though. Strangely, using a flatpak Gimp 2.99.12, it does work and opens images straight from the internet.

Apart from the obvious and downloading to a local folder, you might get there using an intermediary program. This using LibreOffice to open the image from (my) cloud storage and then sending to Gimp. 40 seconds https://i.imgur.com/6PaD3CM.mp4

...but then you are only able to save / export locally anyway, somewhat redundant.
(08-30-2022, 10:34 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Somewhat loathe to comment on this as: it is MACOS / it is Amazon Cloud and I do not have either Wink

I think Ofnuts is correct, the file is 'stuck' on Amazon.

In theory Gimp File -> Open Location will take an URL and open it. This has not worked (various linux versions) for many years. Give it a try though. Strangely, using a flatpak Gimp 2.99.12, it does work and opens images straight from the internet.

Apart from the obvious and downloading to a local folder, you might get there using an intermediary program. This using LibreOffice to open the image from (my) cloud storage and then sending to Gimp.  40 seconds https://i.imgur.com/6PaD3CM.mp4

...but then you are only able to save / export locally anyway, somewhat redundant.

I download the file to my Mac then try to open it so it is not in the cloud

rick

How can I upload an example to see if someone can open it or try to see what the issue might be?

rick

Update...I did a massive cleanup on my Mac removing unused programs files etc.
Once it was completed, all of a sudden the editing started to work.

One of the applications was listed as Amazon photos which I never used as I access Amazon photos from a browser. I went to open it and it said" do not open this file as it will cause damage to your mac" Of course I did not open it and deleted it. I think this program was the cause of the editing issues as once it was deleted, all the Amazon photos could now be edited. Interesting as if I downloaded a photo that was not edited in Amazon photos I could edit it bit once I edited it in Amazon photos I could not.

Strongly suspect that program was the cause as all is workin wekk again

thanks to all who responded

rick