Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animated GIF Format Dying?
"GIFs are old and arguably outdated. They’ve been around since the days of CompuServe’s bulletin-board system, and they first thrived during the garish heyday of GeoCities, a moment in history that is preserved by the Internet Archive on a page called, appropriately, GifCities"

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a...phy/671680

I'm surprised they made it all the way through the article without mentioning .webp format

(10-16-2022, 06:11 PM)rickk Wrote: I'm surprised they made it all the way through the article without mentioning .webp format

Surprised and not so surprised, she started to work in 2015 (her first job).
She is mostly a staff writer who seems living a bit in her own world, all about social media, not a computer savvy in a way we see it, but certainly a facebook / tweeter savvy.
Years ago I had this utility viewer from Autodesk that allowed you to link sound files to animations made with their Animator software suite. I was a lot of fun.

Somehow I always  hoped that someday someone might develop such a feature with gifs, that would autoplay over the internet. But I guess that embedded sound files are a taboo, of sorts. People start freaking out suspecting their system has been compromised?

(10-29-2022, 06:45 PM)rickk Wrote: Years ago I had this utility viewer from Autodesk that allowed you to link sound files to animations made with their Animator software suite. I was a lot of fun.

Somehow I always  hoped that someday someone might develop such a feature with gifs, that would autoplay over the internet. But I guess that embedded sound files are a taboo, of sorts. People start freaking out suspecting their system has been compromised?

Unwanted sounds are a nuisance, especially when you have several many tabs open, even if browsers are getting better at keeping this under control.

Now, tell us why, with the browsers we use in this 3rd millenium, you cannot put a short video instead of a GIF+sound?
I think that I might be learning-challenged in that area.....embedding youtube videos on forums, even ones that provide embed tags expressly intended for youtube, always seem to be still born, whenever I try.

I've got no problems authoring .mp4 content....but finding free hosts that "play well" with the types of sites that I go to seems to be a problem. I always end up with a broken link icon.

I used to embed midi files that autoplayed with my posts at some forums, and being able to sync that with a visual would be a step up, IMO