Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animation tool inside future GIMP ?
I will make a request to GIMP developers to implement animation tool  in future GIMP (3.xx).

Basically, I was thinking it would be cool to animate parameters of the filters of GIMP and G'MIC with timeline and animation tool.
And making some kind of bones structure like in Blender just 2D ( Grease pencil and armature).

Also , I was thinking to get some kind of VFX 2D particle system to make cool animation effects (similar to Unity and After Effects https://youtu.be/vj1bUfSVBnY?t=1655) .

What do you think about this ?
It's a reasonable request. I do some animation with Gimp and in my opinion Gimp-GAP is still the basis of most Gimp animation. It's bit of a battle to learn with many tutorials in languages other than English. MathMap does animation in Gimp and most G'Mic filters work on multiple layers.
I'm still using Gimp 2.88 because I know GAP will take some hacking or even compiling to work. Something for animation that is more integrated and 21st century would be great. Some of my animations are here:
https://west-tamar-talk.blogspot.com.au/
Tend to disagree

Best left as a third-party plugin although a drastic update/rewrite to modernise is required.

Everyone belongs to some 10%-of-total 'interest' group and know that their subject-of-interest needs incorporating.

Gimp 2.10 probably already has too many additional features. For example I wonder how many Gimp users actually need the mypaint brushes, although they are nice, if you need them you should be using MyPaint.

The same with installations that include 'extras'. Need to update G'mic, crazy if I have to replace a whole Gimp installation rather than just the plugin.

IMHO Gimp should be lean and quick and let the user decide what extras to add.
(05-05-2018, 11:31 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Tend to disagree

Best left as a third-party plugin although a drastic update/rewrite to modernise is required.

Everyone belongs to some 10%-of-total 'interest' group and know that their subject-of-interest needs incorporating.

Gimp 2.10 probably already has too many additional features. For example I wonder how many Gimp users actually need the mypaint brushes, although they are nice, if you need them you should be using MyPaint.

The same with installations that include 'extras'. Need to update G'mic, crazy if I have to replace a whole Gimp installation rather than just the plugin.

IMHO Gimp should be lean and quick and let the user decide what extras to add.

Agreed. One's indispensable feature is someone else's software bloat.