Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animation?
Looking for animation.

I kinda want to do some of those "Oh Really Owl" animations that were everywhere a few years back.

Am I just not seeing the buttons for this?
Example?
Quote:Looking for animation.  I kinda want to do some of those "Oh Really Owl" animations that were everywhere a few years back.

Well, I had to look up, "Oh Really Owl" animations to see what is meant. 
 Seems to be "A response in sarcastic manner,  to an obvious, predictable or blatantly false statement."

Quote:Am I just not seeing the buttons for this?

A button for this? You want some sort of one-stop-make-an-animation? Unfortunately not.

Either: you have some artistic merit, and draw from scratch or:
Spend some time and patience and adapt some existing image.

I have neither of those qualities, so a bit of cut-n-paste and regular Gimp tools - copy / paste / scale / etc on layers. Export as an animated gif. Although webp seems to becoming more popular.

Not the reply you want....

It was in the old days of the internet (2010 or there abouts) a meme to reply to someone stating the obvious or demonstrably false.

There was a static picture of a person or thing, then a owl or owls head would creep in from behind the person or object (like a Layer), and the text "Oh Really" would appear. Part of the meme was that it was the same owl over and over again. Each creator of a new one used the same owl and a different static picture.

This was separate from the static owl with text stating "Oh Really" that was then made as that Owl wearing something ethnic like a Sombrero or Ushanka and the text "Oh Really" being in the corresponding language. This was used when someone said something obvious or demonstrably false about an ethnic group or a nation.
Ok, I know what you mean, but still no 'magic' button to create an animation. There might be an on-line web service somewhere, I do not know.

Same as the grumpy cat, you can do a simple animation without any extra scripts or plugins, just standard Gimp tools. A bit tedious - yes but all good practice. Once you get the basics then look around for a bit of automation. 
Need to personalize the basics, add a hat to the owl you said, that is where a bit of your artistic skill comes in.

There are any number of how-to's on the internet, yet another one.

https://youtu.be/VY3FBLoff1Y Duration 7 minutes.

Edit:
Quote:..It was in the old days of the internet (2010 or there abouts)...
That makes me feel ancient Wink First 'real' internet I had was with a UK ISP, Demon Internet, round about 1994. Before that I actually had an email service via a dial-up bulletin board. Alas no-one at that time to send emails to.
Trying to automate things a little bit Wink

Two scripts sg-group-linked-layers.scm and sg-combine-bg.scm to assist. Unzip the attached and put them in
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts The image owl.xcf.gz goes in some convenient folder.

Then it is as this video

https://youtu.be/hpCETmjLgEM Duration 2 and a half minutes

Exporting as an optimised gif - look at the previous video

Attached Files
.zip   owl-kit.zip (Size: 521.6 KB / Downloads: 120)
(08-18-2019, 09:28 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Edit:
Quote:..It was in the old days of the internet (2010 or there abouts)...
That makes me feel ancient Wink First 'real' internet I had was with a UK ISP, Demon Internet, round about 1994. Before that I actually had an email service via a dial-up bulletin board. Alas no-one at that time to send emails to.

My first internet was a BB using a dial up phone in a cradle modem about 1988 for a high school project.
We had to connect and download a note file as homework. Then print the note and bring that to class, no photocopies.

I asked as I seem to recall a recent video extolling the virtues of the "animation" button in photoshop to make new eye catching .gif for advertising.

Watched your video. Thank you. Very well done. I have a lot to digest there!