Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another problem removing a BG
Question 
Okay so I found this pic online and there are no renders of the character. Could someone remove it's background but more importantly explain how to do it without messing up the character? I try using eraser but it's too ineffective Sad
Any help would b 
[Image: TxkXWa3.jpg]
Using the eraser is for rough jobs and not recommend because its destructive.
You can achieve the same result, but non destructive, by painting on a layermask.

This particular image however is a job for the paths tool, meaning you make a path around the guy to render the image.
This method is even more powerful when you combine the path with a layermask, because you can, for example, feather the edge non destructively by blurring the layermask (and adjust with a curve).
(01-30-2017, 01:47 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: Using the eraser is for rough jobs and not recommend because its destructive.
You can achieve the same result, but non destructive, by painting on a layermask.

This particular image however is a job for the paths tool, meaning you make a path around the guy to render the image.
This method is even more powerful when you combine the path with a layermask, because you can, for example, feather the edge non destructively by blurring the layermask (and adjust with a curve).

I'm really new to GIMP so I really don't understand what you mean by layermask and path tool and how to use them to remove a background Sad

Is it possible to explain more??
(01-30-2017, 02:29 AM)God Wrote: I'm really new to GIMP so I really don't understand what you mean by layermask and path tool and how to use them to remove a background Sad

If you are new to this, then there is a lot to learn.
I learned about layermasks from youtube tutorials. If you perform a search: "gimp + layermask" on YT, a lot of videos will turn up. Same with the paths tool.

Here is one that shows the method i had in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbp8v3f_OgE
(01-30-2017, 02:45 AM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 02:29 AM)God Wrote: I'm really new to GIMP so I really don't understand what you mean by layermask and path tool and how to use them to remove a background Sad

If you are new to this, then there is a lot to learn.
I learned about layermasks from youtube tutorials. If you perform a search: "gimp + layermask" on YT, a lot of videos will turn up. Same with the paths tool.

Here is one that shows the method i had in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbp8v3f_OgE
@ofnuts would you be able to explain to me like the way you helped me out with the last image?
Edited with path tool  Path  > path to selection > feather by 5 pixels invert selection then deleted background.
Great job, Sallyanne !
Thank you dinasset
(01-30-2017, 07:06 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Edited with path tool  Path  > path to selection > feather by 5 pixels invert selection then deleted background.

Great job, sallyanne !!

Heres what you can do to improve it even more. Instead of feathering and deleting the background, you call up a selection from the path, then apply a layermask from selection.
Same thing, but the original image is unchanged.

Next you select the layermask and apply Gaussian Blur (radius depends on the image size, but 5px is good enough most of the time).
Thats the feathering.

If you call up the curves tool and drag the curve around (grab the middle of the curve and drag it diagonally, up or down), the blur will expand or retract, so now you can control the feathering.
GOD, I would suggest, as Esper has, that you check out some youtube tutorial in order to familiarize yourself with some of the Gimp basics so you would be able to do some effects. There is a youtube set of gimp tutorials called Gimp Tricks. They are super easy to follow, they are narrated with great detail, and will show you how to do many of the basic effects.