Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any way to have two layers of differing view sizes?
Hello,

I have been trying to use an image as a background for my drawing in pixel art but can't seem to find out whether it is possible. To specify my request: I need to use an image for a background, let's say the resolution is 900x500, for a drawing of which resolution would be 180x100. 
I want those two to overlap, pretty much being able to zoom in and out of the seconf picture with the background image staying still the same.

I hope I described it somewhat coherently. Thank you.
Is this to get a preview for size and position ?

You can use a transform tool scale or unified-transform for this

https://i.imgur.com/JVHjcDV.mp4

If it is for something else such as a zoom-in animation then there are ways.

more information please.
(02-19-2022, 09:06 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Is this to get a preview for size and position ?

You can use a transform tool scale or unified-transform for this

https://i.imgur.com/JVHjcDV.mp4

If it is for something else such as a zoom-in animation then there are ways.

more information please.

Thanks for trying to help. What I meant is to have two layers of differing sizes occupying the same space in the layout.

On the image A, you can see a red line drawn over an image of a house. There, both layers are "of the same size" 

I would like to be able create an image as seen on image B. Where on the background layer, a 1 pixel brush is the size of 1 pixel, but the 1 pixel brush on the upper layer takes up like 16 actual pixels

Pretty much drawing as if you are zoomed in, without actually being zoomed in. 

This explanation is all over the place, but  I am unsure how else to describe it. I hope it makes at least some sense. Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Perhaps this is what you want?

Select "View/New View". You can zoom the views independently - so in your case zoom view A to 16 times the magnification of view B and draw on view B. Works best if you are running GIMP not in single window mode and have more than one monitor - or a wide monitor to be able to arrange the two windows side by side.
(02-20-2022, 04:39 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: Perhaps this is what you want?

Select "View/New View". You can zoom the views independently - so in your case zoom view A to 16 times the magnification of view B and draw on view B. Works best if you are running GIMP not in single window mode and have more than one monitor - or a wide monitor to be able to arrange the two windows side by side.

I don't have two monitors but perhaps this will make more sense:

I have a high quality photo of a house and I want to redraw it in a pixelart style. I wish to use the photo as a background layer and I set the drawing layer's opacity to 50% so that I can use the background for reference. Since I am drawing pixel art, I need the background to have different PPI than the layer I am draawing on.

Does this help perhaps?
Quote:...Where on the background layer, a 1 pixel brush is the size of 1 pixel, but the 1 pixel brush on the upper layer takes up like 16 actual pixels...
and
I wish to use the photo as a background layer and I set the drawing layer's opacity to 50% so that I can use the background for reference. Since I am drawing pixel art, I need the background to have different PPI than the layer I am draawing on.

FWIW (If I understand above) It is not possible to have an image where 16 pixel brush (4x4) on the top layer appears as one pixel underneath.
...but this is pixel art. It should not matter providing you are using the pencil tool.
...however If you scale your picture up 400%, do your overlay with the pencil tool, then scale back down to 25% using interpolation NONE to keep the pixel art I think that is the same outcome.

Edit: ..or is it the other way round ? Want a smaller pixel art version of the house ? Wink ? Draw the overlay and scale to 25% with interpolation NONE.
(02-20-2022, 05:08 PM). InTheBanworld Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 04:39 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: Perhaps this is what you want?

I don't have two monitors but perhaps this will make more sense:

I have a high quality photo of a house and I want to redraw it in a pixelart style. I wish to use the photo as a background layer and I set the drawing layer's opacity to 50% so that I can use the background for reference. Since I am drawing pixel art, I need the background to have different PPI than the layer I am draawing on.

Does this help perhaps?

Just use a 4x4 (or 8x8) square brush (and the Pencil tool) for your pixel art (and at the same time set up the image grid to the same spacing)