Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arc an image
Hi,
Looking to see if there is an easy way or a plugin  that will allow me to take an image and warp in the shape of an Arc similar to the 'Warp' Arc feature in our well known rival. I have tried various 'Warp' options that GIMP offers, 'Curve Bend', 'iWarp' and 'Polar Co-ordinates'.
I am trying to take a photographic image and shape to fit on a Latte shaped mug. I can create a template of the overall required shape but unable to get the image to fit correctly.
All searches on Google point to Photoshop. I run Linux and quite happy with GIMP. Is there possibly a plugin? I have searched for one but came up empty.
TIA for any help, hints etc.
John
I believe that geometrically this is the Polar Coordinates plugin, but that would be a very specialized use where your image/label is a very small part of an otherwise empty image (the rest of the image being the virtual cone from which the cup is cut from). I'll try to answer more accurately later.
Thanks Ofnuts,
I did a bit on the now defunct gimpforums.com for a guy wanting to print on mugs.

A latte mug is going to be difficult, small base, steep angle etc..

FWIW I think pre-bending the image with ImageMagick is a good way. Command line but not complicated. A couple of trials to get the angle to match my template.

Code:
convert straight.jpg  -virtual-pixel White -distort Arc 50  arc.png

Then scale in Gimp to get a fit. Depending on the original image crop to size.

something like this: https://i.imgur.com/pLzh5eh.jpg
(10-03-2017, 05:32 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I did a bit on the now defunct gimpforums.com for a guy wanting to print on mugs.

A latte mug is going to be difficult, small base, steep angle etc..

FWIW I think pre-bending the image with ImageMagick is a good way. Command line but not complicated. A couple of trials to get the angle to match my template.

Code:
convert straight.jpg  -virtual-pixel White -distort Arc 50  arc.png

Then scale in Gimp to get a fit. Depending on the original image crop to size.

something like this: https://i.imgur.com/pLzh5eh.jpg

Hi rich2005

I have failed to fully appreciate the power of Image Magic, thank you so much for your post I have been searching for days for a simple neat answer. Will play about with the other parameters but looks like you have given me  the solution.