Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow Script
I have to get some lucky charms, so I can touch them every time a new version of Gimp comes out ;-)
(02-02-2023, 07:37 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 06:39 PM)kyolim Wrote: I got an error message saying:
Code:
Error while executing script-fu-draw-arrow:

Error: eval: unbound variable: gimp-image-get-selected-vectors

I used V3. Ubuntu version 22.04.
Which version of GIMP are you using?

Also are you using the latest version of the script? The arrow_V3.scm should check that you are running V2.99.14 or later (when V2.99.16 is released this will be the new requirement as this version of GIMP fixes the offset arrow shaft problem noted above).

If you are using GIMP V2.10.x you need to use file arrow.scm (as noted in the file ArrowScriptNotes.pdf).

That solved the problem. Thank you.

I occasionally get the pop up 'More than one path defined', only way to stop it, is to close and then re-open the image. Is there an alternative than having to do this.

[Image: KhUQ4XR.png]
(10-24-2023, 08:02 PM)kyolim Wrote: I occasionally get the pop up 'More than one path defined', only way to stop it, is to close and then re-open the image. Is there an alternative than having to do this.  

You should not have to close the image, it is only a warning message, not an error.  
OK closes it here, kubuntu 22.04 / Gimp 2.10.34

EDIT: The message has never bothered me, but if you want to suppress it, comment out lines 544 to 546 as:

Hi, I think you are not talking about the version that I modified, because I was unable to get the error "Error: eval: unbound variable: gimp-image-get-selected-vectors" to come out, and with my modifications the report that there are more paths and which will be followed, the last one is moved to lines 552-554 and is caused by having left the paths of the previous arrows... and it is better to delete them, automatically with "Delete path after arrow is drawn?"

https://github.com/vitforlinux-gimp/scm/...row_V3.scm

My version works in Gimp 2.10.34, 2.99.16... not in 2.99.8/10, need update it.
(10-03-2023, 04:40 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(10-03-2023, 02:02 PM)vitforlinux Wrote: This script is really great... could I leave it alone?
It's not like me.

Since you can run the old scripts on Gimp 2.99.16 and 2.10 at the same time, why not do it on this one?

I had to delete the brush creation and replace it with a stock Gimp brush, because Gimp 2.99.16 would not be able to delete it.

Now Arrow V3 works in Gimp 2.10.34 and 2.99.16. Just one file with no need to choose the version suitable for your Gimp

https://github.com/vitforlinux-gimp/scm/...row_V3.scm

I'll have a look at this once I have downloaded the new master version that includes serious changes to the way scripts are handled.
I will issue a new version of this script for GIMP V2.99/V3.0 once V2.99.18 or V3.0.0 has been released as there are problems in the earlier versions of V2.99.17 that prevent the script from working.

The script will continue to create it's own brush - it can be deleted with gimp-resource-delete() (instead of (the removed) gimp-brush-delete())

There will still be two versions, one for GIMP V2.10.x and one for GIMP V2.99.18/V3.0.0 - this allows the script to be written in a way that removes the warning about scripts that take a single drawable being deprecated.

Update - just remembered that SF-OPTION doesn't work correctly when using script-fu-register-filter so we'll have to live with the deprecated messages for the time being. Still need V2.99.18 or V3.0.0 before I can upload a new version.
I am having difficulties in getting a solid line when the arrow is drawn. It would seem the line consists of dots.

Attached is an example of the output from the arrow.scm (ignore the background)

I thought it may be brush settings, but I thought the arrow.scm created its own.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

It is the brush spacing. Typically default spacing might be 10. Greater than 100 it is percentage of brush size and you get the brush spaced out.

(01-06-2024, 01:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is the brush spacing. Typically default spacing might be 10. Greater than 100 it is percentage of brush size and you get the brush spaced out.
Curious! The script sets the brush spacing, hardness and aspect ratio using gimp-brush-set-xxx calls but these seem to have no effect. Changing to use gimp-context-set-brush-xxx calls gives consistent solid  arrows - so I was editing both the V2.10 and V2.99 scripts to do this. However, I then wondered whether or not this was the correct thing to do or whether it would be better to use the current default brush settings so that users had the option of drawing 'nebulous'/ discontinuous arrows.

Perhaps I should add an extra option that would be set by default to draw solid arrows or, if not selected, the default brush options would be used.

Any opinions/comments?
Thanks for the replies. The spacing was the issue. Sorted now.

For your comment: Perhaps I should add an extra option that would be set by default to draw solid arrows or, if not selected, the default brush options would be used.

I would say yes to implementing that option
(01-07-2024, 01:23 AM)ChrisHammond56 Wrote: Thanks for the replies. The spacing was the issue. Sorted now.

For your comment: Perhaps I should add an extra option that would be set by default to draw solid arrows or, if not selected, the default brush options would be used.

I would say yes to implementing that option

In the end I decided not to add the extra option mainly for the following reason -

If the Brush was the selected tool and it had a low opacity, and the script option set to not draw solid arrows (i.e. use the brush settings), the drawing of the arrow head was messy - more opaque where the lines that form the arrow head and shaft overlapped.

I have now uploaded a new version of the script for GIMP V2.99.18/V3 this:

a) removes the warning about scripts that only handle a single drawable being deprecated

b) the last used settings persist across GIMP activations

c) GIMP adds buttons to allow the settings to be saved and restored

d) GIMP adds a button to reset the settings - either to factory defaults or to as they were when the script was activated

The link for the zip file is:

http://programmer97.byethost10.com/Files/arrow.zip