Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow Script
There is always a trade off between complexity and convenience. I like the arrows.scm because it is script-fu. I load it when I need it, no need to restart Gimp.

There are others. Ofnuts has one, path-arrow-heads-0.0.py usual place http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pat...s/scripts/   dated 2012-01-09 makes an arrow head end of a path.
and Akkana Peck's arrowdesigner.py http://shallowsky.com/software/gimp/arrowdesigner/  Straight arrow in a selection, can't get simpler than that.

draw arrow" (Pfeil zeichnen) plugin download? To download just the plugin without the rest of the documentation etc Try:
https://www.magentacloud.de/api/file?att...YJqJvvNU6J
Hi Rich2005,
I really liked the arrow-set-size.scm script, it is practical and intuitive.
I have now downloaded Ofnuts' arrow-set-size.scm script and will try it out.
The link you posted takes me to a page with the following message:
{"msg": "Unauthorized", "code": "401"}

But ok, I believe that I will not need that script anymore, for creating arrows I think I already have enough.

Thanks.
I'll start out by saying that I'm brand new to GIMP. I followed the discussion in this thread and successfully added some labels with appropriate arrows to an imported pgn, saved the xcf file, re-exported the png, and thought I was done. (ETA: I used the arrow-set-size.scm script.) Well, a reviewer wants the label moved. I opened the xcf file and was able to move the text labels, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit (or delete) the associated arrow. I've gone into the Paths dialog window to see if I could select the path that I used to define the arrow, but no luck. (I'm not even sure what paths it was showing me.) Is it possible to edit an arrow after saving/reopening to xcf or do I need to go back to the original png and start over?
As none of the gurus, who can give really good help, seem to be around, I'll try my poor best.
* Bring forward the Paths tab. There you should see a list: at the left of each, clicking shows a chain icon, and to left of that, clicking shows an eye and makes the path visible. Unclick the chain and leave the eye.
* Select the Move Tool, and bring forward the tab 'Tool Options': there are 3 icons on top.
* Select the the last one = 'Move Path'
* Now you should able to move any of your visible paths: clicking the chains at their left links them to move together... visible or not--use with care to begin with.
(12-10-2020, 11:42 PM)carmen Wrote: As none of the gurus, who can give really good help, seem to be around, I'll try my poor best.
* Bring forward the Paths tab. There you should see a list: at the left of each, clicking shows a chain icon, and to left of that, clicking shows an eye and makes the path visible. Unclick the chain and leave the eye.
* Select the Move Tool, and bring forward the tab 'Tool Options': there are 3 icons on top.
* Select the the last one = 'Move Path'
* Now you should able to move any of your visible paths: clicking the chains at their left links them to move together... visible or not--use with care to begin with.

Thanks for responding. I followed your guide and was able to find three paths listed, but I added five arrows. Unfortunately none of the three corresponded to the path/arrow I need to move. I assume that I managed to delete them after I created the arrows. At this point it is probably simplest to start over...there really aren't that many label/arrow pairs to create anyway. I'll play around with paths some more to see how I might have deleted the one I need.
By default, the script deletes the path after its execution.
If you want to keep the path, you must deselect the option that regulates this condition. See attached image.    
Quote:(ETA: I used the arrow-set-size.scm script.) Well, a reviewer wants the label moved. I opened the xcf file and was able to move the text labels, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit (or delete) the associated arrow. I've gone into the Paths dialog window to see if I could select the path that I used to define the arrow, but no luck.

You need to keep the path as Krikors post. Gimp is a bitmap editor, once the arrow is rendered, other than moving it as a layer, to change the 'shape' the whole arrow layer has to be replaced. Gimp is not a vector editor, It could be that you should be using vector application Inkscape to add arrows and text.

However, Gimp it is.
Advise: Use Layer Groups - then the paired arrow and text layers can be moved as one. Chain the Layer Group to the path and the path moves as well.

Fairly slow 5 minute video of these options: https://youtu.be/VSZ7tjkh9XE
rich, the trick with the chained layer / path is superb. Thanks for the tip.
I was just looking at arrow.scm to change the default size of the arrows and brush so looked at arrow-set-size.scm and the later arrow-set-size-samj.scm produced by Rich2005.

I think that there are errors in the changed script - the order of the options in the SF-OPTION parameters "Length of wings type" and "Brush thickness type" have been swapped to put the absolute pixel values before the ratio-metric settings but the constants FACTOR_RELATIVE_TO_PATH_LENGTH and FACTOR_IN_ABSOLUTE_PIXELS still have the original values (0 and 1 respectively) - this means that the program code will be using ratio-metric values when the UI is indicating that absolute values are being used and vice versa.

The SF-ADJUSTMENT parameters "Length of wings (LoW)" and "Brush thickness (BT)" have had their settings changed but the new values will be used as ratio-metric ones if using the default settings of the script (which I guess wasn't the intent).
(05-06-2021, 10:26 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: I was just looking at arrow.scm to change the default size of the arrows and brush so looked at arrow-set-size.scm and the later arrow-set-size-samj.scm produced by Rich2005.

I think that there are errors in the changed script - the order of the options in the SF-OPTION parameters "Length of wings type" and "Brush thickness type" have been swapped to put the absolute pixel values before the ratio-metric settings but the constants FACTOR_RELATIVE_TO_PATH_LENGTH and FACTOR_IN_ABSOLUTE_PIXELS still have the original values (0 and 1 respectively) - this means that the program code will be using ratio-metric values when the UI is indicating that absolute values are being used and vice versa.

The SF-ADJUSTMENT parameters "Length of wings (LoW)" and "Brush thickness (BT)" have had their settings changed but the new values will be used as ratio-metric ones if using the default settings of the script (which I guess wasn't the intent).
Note that these comments apply to the arrow-set-size.scm and arrow-set-size-samj.scm scripts as posted earlier in this thread - they may have been edited since.

The corrections needed are to restore the two SF-OPTION lines back to their original forms i.e.

Code:
SF-OPTION      "Length of wings type"            (list "Path length divided by LoW value" "LoW Pixels")

SF-OPTION      "Brush thickness type"            (list "Path length divided by BT value" "BT Pixels")

This will correct the UI display and still give you the same results.