Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assigning ICC Color Profiles
Hi,

I've looked at previous threads on this subject but as they are a couple years old, I was wondering if there is more current knowledge on this subject.

I am using GIMP 2.10.22 on OS 11.7.6 (Big Sur). I have tried multiple times following many different YouTube videos as well as GIMP's own documentation to assign an ICC color profile. I always end up with the window saying ICC Profiles Validation Failed. Color Profile is not for RGB color space. This is after I have added profiles in Preferences and saved them.

I would appreciate any suggestions how to resolve. I have started using CYAN but I can't help but feel there must be way to get it to work within GIMP. Thanks so much!

Attached Files Image(s)

Edit: you do not say which profile you are trying to use. There are RGB profiles and CMYK profiles, some-name.icc There are also monitor profiles usually some-name.icm ......

These days, converting a RGB image to CMYK for printing is not always necessary. Many printing companies accept RGB with a proviso that some colours will change, bright blues / greens for example.

Gimp is strictly an RGB editor, although there is a CMYK export option in the latest development version. You get an error message if you try to use a CMYK icc profile. You can view any possible colour changes using 'soft proofing' and a cmyk profile. Also check for out-of-gamut (non-printable) colours that might need adjusting.

If you have the CYAN program / plugin and it works in MacOS then you can export a RGB image in CMYK form. jpeg / tiff / psd. If you have the Imagemagick program installed you can check the properties.

If you need to convert and edit in CMYK then try Krita https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/ there is a MacOS version