Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automate export jpg to png
I have a significant number of jpegs that require editing.

I prefer to save my edits as png doing the following:
(1) Shift+Ctrl+E
(2) Alt+T for Select File Type (By Extension)
(3) mouse click on "By Extension"
(4) Type "png" press Enter
(5) Alt+E for Export
(6) Alt+E for Export
As you can see, I use keyboard shortcuts and do so rapidly. However, for such a large volume of jpegs, this becomes time-consuming and laborious.

Is there any way to automate this process? Grateful to hear if there is a way to do so.

Many thanks
You can try this batch image manipulation :

https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/
Try this one. A python plugin. Modified from one I use as a 'quick-save' for the open image.
Download, unzip, put jpg-to-png.py in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins
Registers in the Tools menu. Tried in Win10 / Gimp 2.10.22 and works there.

There are caveats: 
  • The first use in any particular Gimp session, set an output folder, otherwise you get an error.  I think worth keeping to separate the files but it could be the folder containing the jpegs. Subsequent use keeps that path.
  • The filename has an underscore appended ie. filename.jpg becomes filename_.png  Edit: Dear me, I am dim, fixed that.
  • Guarantee, there is no guarantee.
In use:
It can have a hotkey assigned to avoid going into the menu every-time.
Providing no other plugin has been used in the meantime, Ctrl-F repeats the last used.

Attached Files
.zip   jpg-to-png.zip (Size: 653 bytes / Downloads: 121)
(12-08-2020, 12:20 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Try this one. A python plugin. Modified from one I use as a 'quick-save' for the open image.
Download, unzip, put jpg-to-png.py in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

There are caveats: 
  • The first use in any particular Gimp session, set an output folder, otherwise you get an error.  I think worth keeping to separate the files but it could be the folder containing the jpegs. Subsequent use keeps that path.
  • The filename has an underscore appended ie. filename.jpg becomes filename_.png    Edit: Dear me, I am dim, fixed that.
In use:
Providing no other plugin has been used in the meantime, Ctrl-F repeats the last used.

(12-08-2020, 09:17 AM)denzjos Wrote: You can try this batch image manipulation :

https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

Thank you very much denzjos!

(12-08-2020, 12:20 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Try this one. A python plugin. Modified from one I use as a 'quick-save' for the open image.

There are caveats: 
  • The filename has an underscore appended ie. filename.jpg becomes filename_.png    Edit: Dear me, I am dim, fixed that.
In use:

Thank you very much Rich2005 for taking the trouble and the time to help. Much appreciate it. Perhaps, in future versions, the option to Export as could be made available in Preferences. Many thanks once again