Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUMP map question
Question 
Hey, I am brand new to using GIMP.

I'm following a tutorial from the gimp website on how to make a fake 3d text image, and i'm getting stuck at the bump mapping. it is not "mapping" to allow me to see my text as 3d. 

I think i'm applying it to the correct layer  Dodgy

Thanks!
Normally you have your layer and a bump map, and the bump map is a grayscale layer (which is the "Aux1" input in the dialog).

When bumpmapping I find it helpful that both layers involved are the same size.
So do some layer > layer to image size first.
(02-20-2024, 12:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Normally you have your layer and a bump map, and the bump map is a grayscale layer (which is the "Aux1" input in the dialog).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-21-2024, 12:02 AM)fizzr Wrote: I just throw a screenshot with NO explanation about my problem, I hope you're telepathic..

Joke aside Wink Ofnuts did an excellent screenshot that you overlooked... as well as its explanation, did he told you about gray scale... Yes!

Anyway, let's restart the explanations in a new way:

a) Even if it can work the way on your screenshot, that's not how to use it, your Visible layer, is best in black and white, and you'll need to blur it a bit (Filters > Blur > Gaussian blur...), because the pseudo 3D effect is made with the blurred part (in your case) ➤ you know, the gradient white to black when it's blur... (one day I'll will do a tuto on that as it seems people don't catch this part)
BTW on your screenshot it does not work (or poorly) because you did NOT blur the layer Visible... and possibly the intensity of the red could "match" the gray writing.

b) Thus select the top layer named Layer where you did your Plasma..., and Bump map it with the layer below named Visible, preferably you write in white with a black background (or vice versa) instead of red background with black writing, then new from Visible, then Gaussian blur... roughly do the thing in "a)".

--------------------------------------------------
Now with images on how to do it. (click on the image to make them bigger, you can try those settings to encompass how it works Smile )

Blur the layer named Visible > Filters ➤ Blur ➤ Gaussian blur... (see...? it's black and white Wink )

Then SELECT the layer named Layer and Bump map it with Aux Input ➤ the Black and white layer you just blurred
That black and white blurred layer ➤ it is the MAP that you are using to BUMP the layer you have selected at the top of the layer stack named "Layer" (Plasma rendering)

Patrice
(02-21-2024, 12:02 AM)fizzr Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 12:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Normally you have your layer and a bump map, and the bump map is a grayscale layer (which is the "Aux1" input in the dialog).

You call the bump map filter on the "visible" layer, when you should call it on the plasma layer (the effect is applied to the plasma layer, using the "Visible" layer as  a bump map):