Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Background removal
So I am totally new to GIMP (or any other editing software).

I am attempting to clean up an image my daughter drew for use on redbubble.  I scanned the image she drew by hand, it scanned very well.  Now I need to remove the background so it can be printed on other than white items without a giant white box around the image.  I used the foreground select tool.  I will try to describe step by step what I did.

Open image.
Add Alpha Channel
Click on foreground select tool
Draw a "box" around image
Click Select in the Foreground Select Dialogue box
"Paint" in the image
Preview mask to verify image
Click Select in the Foreground Select Dialogue Box
Click Select > Invert
Hit Delete on Keyboard

At this point the background is checkered, so I think removed correctly.  From here I did the following:

1) saved as .xcf but redbubble cannot open .xcf files
2) exported as .jpg, but when I opened the .jpg in redbubble, the white box remained.

I am sure I am missing something terribly obvious but cannot figure out what I need to do to save a .jpg (or .png) with just the character (or transparent background) for use on redbubble.

Please help!
Jpeg image format does not support transparency.

If you have a suitable image saved in Gimp .xcf format with transparency showing, then export the image as a .png image
(08-27-2020, 12:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Jpeg image format does not support transparency.

If you have a suitable image saved in Gimp .xcf format with transparency showing, then export the image as a .png image

Advice on what to select / unselect in the export dialogue box?
(08-27-2020, 12:36 PM)torath Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 12:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Jpeg image format does not support transparency.

That is a good question. Lots of options available. I am a believer in less is better: 

Should be good for most situations.
(08-27-2020, 12:52 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 12:36 PM)torath Wrote:

That is a good question. Lots of options available. I am a believer in less is better: 

Should be good for most situations.

YAY!! It worked.  Thank you so much!!