Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Citrix] GIMP doesn't see user's local drives
I know this may be a odd question for many of you to read.  But we use GIMP in a Citrix virtualized environment (for education).  This way, no matter the device, a user can use the applications we present to them.  Sort of like mobile lab access where ever you are.

I didn't realize when I installed it, is that when you attempt to open/save you don't get your typical 'file manager' to allow you to select "MY PC"
It does see the mapped network drives and the folders within their user profile.  But while that's ok, it's important to be able to access the user's local device (harddrive or USB) when they are in this virtual environment. So I need to see the top level "My PC"

Is anyone out there using GIMP in Citrix XenApp?  Have you found a way to add the user's local devices?
What this means is that I need to be able to give the user access to the "My PC" option you typically see on a Windows computer's File Manager.

Is there a way, maybe through Registry, to add this as a folder option for all users?
I have no knowledge about Citrix virtualized environment and my Windows OS knowledge is limited.
IMO the issue is not related to gimp, because the open/save dialogs are standard dialogs provided by GTK+ framework (gimp only tweaks them to add file preview,  select only image files, ...) ; "Locations" available in these dialogs are GTK+ related.

Do you have the possibility to run any other GTK+ based applications ?
(05-07-2020, 06:24 PM)tmanni Wrote: I have no knowledge about Citrix virtualized environment and my Windows OS knowledge is limited.
IMO the issue is not related to gimp, because the open/save dialogs are standard dialogs provided by GTK+ framework (gimp only tweaks them to add file preview,  select only image files, ...) ; "Locations" available in these dialogs are GTK+ related.

Do you have the possibility to run any other GTK+ based applications ?

And to be honest I have no knowledge of GTK+ based applications.

I can say with certainty that any other Windows-based program (Word, SPSS, R, Inkscape) pick up on the windows-based file structure.
As you say it may not be GIMP directly but the GTK.  In which case, how does one modify tha?.  When you open GIMP it only gives you "suggested" folders to access.  And it adds drive mappings which is helpful.  But the folders I want to access can't be setup that way.  I just want to add the location "My PC" which would then give me all the access I need.
Interesting...but no solution.

I can have the reversal of your problem. A local installed (but sandboxed) Gimp that will write to local folders but not networked folders. (this in a local linux virtual machine)

Looking at this https://www.citrix.com/en-gb/products/ci...-desktops/ Is the remote Gimp a Windows version or a Linux version? Might make a difference. Your post suggests Windows. What version of Gimp are they using? Got to be some sort of permissions issue.

Is there no-one at Citrix who can give some help?
(05-08-2020, 03:41 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Interesting...but no solution.

I can have the reversal of your problem. A local installed (but sandboxed) Gimp that will write to local folders but not networked folders. (this in a local linux virtual machine)

Looking at this https://www.citrix.com/en-gb/products/ci...-desktops/  Is the remote Gimp a Windows version or a Linux version? Might make a difference.  Your post suggests Windows. What version of Gimp are they using?  Got to be some sort of permissions issue.

Is there no-one at Citrix who can give some help?

Currently running GIMP 2.10.14 and will try to update to the latest 2.10.18

My guess is the same (re: permissions) within GIMP.  Just not sure where you can modify that.

Posted my issue on Citrix boards as well.  No answer yet there either.

It's weird, only app I've seen do something like this
(05-07-2020, 04:57 PM)Morph Wrote: I know this may be a odd question for many of you to read.  But we use GIMP in a Citrix virtualized environment (for education).  This way, no matter the device, a user can use the applications we present to them.  Sort of like mobile lab access where ever you are.

I didn't realize when I installed it, is that when you attempt to open/save you don't get your typical 'file manager' to allow you to select "MY PC"
It does see the mapped network drives and the folders within their user profile.  But while that's ok, it's important to be able to access the user's local device (harddrive or USB) when they are in this virtual environment. So I need to see the top level "My PC"

Is anyone out there using GIMP in Citrix XenApp?  Have you found a way to add the user's local devices?
What this means is that I need to be able to give the user access to the "My PC" option you typically see on a Windows computer's File Manager.

Is there a way, maybe through Registry, to add this as a folder option for all users?

I was sentenced to a Citrix setup recently, and the crux of the Citrix system is that by default you have no local storage (where I work they did that for security reasons). All the applications run on the remote virtual machine, and your local PC is just a glorified terminal. IIRC there are ways to configure Citrix to share files wit the PC used as a terminal, but this is not a default and won't appear as "My PC" on the Citrix VM. Talk to your sysadmin...

A work around is to send the files to yourself via mail, or to upload them to some file sharing site (dropbox or else) from where they can be retrieved using the physical machine (if the VM is not prevented to do so...).
(05-08-2020, 03:59 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 04:57 PM)Morph Wrote: I know this may be a odd question for many of you to read.  But we use GIMP in a Citrix virtualized environment (for education).  This way, no matter the device, a user can use the applications we present to them.  Sort of like mobile lab access where ever you are.

I was sentenced to a Citrix setup recently, and the crux of the Citrix system is that by default you have no local storage (where I work they did that for security reasons). All the applications run on the remote virtual machine, and your local PC is just a glorified terminal. IIRC there are ways to configure Citrix to share files wit the PC used as a terminal, but this is not a default and won't appear as "My PC" on the Citrix VM. Talk to your sysadmin...

A work around is to send the files to yourself via mail, or to upload them to some file sharing site (dropbox or else) from where they can be retrieved using the physical machine (if the VM is not prevented to do so...).

"sentenced to a Citrix setup".. lol  I like that

We have a few labs that are setup that way with thin clients and it's similar.  There is not local storage, unless you plug in a USB device. Then in about 5-10sec that will show up as an option with the Citrix application you are using.
During COVID now, all users are scattered everywhere.  And we are still trying to give that unified experience regardless of the platform you're using.  So getting access to the user's local devices (hardrive, usb) is key.

and the workarounds you suggest....  would again need access to their local devices.  The integration of things like Dropbox require a different type of licensing.  users can access Dropbox on their local devices by drilling down to their local devices and into the Dropbox storage..... but again that requires access to the local device which GIMP seems to be hiding.