Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batch processing of photos on post-editing
I don't know tuto, may be on youtube, I learnt it very long ago (more than a decade) by myself

Just drag n drop directories of pictures in it, multiple photos by thousand in it (all at the same time no worries)

Then on the second tab, select action you want to do (a sub menu will open, then even a third menu can open as there are plenty of thing to do)
the action/filter will appear just below with slider, to fine tune, click on the preview button and the tab "After" to visualize what you are doing (Before and After tab)
At the bottom you see those arrows, it for the next photo to preview

Then the third tab "Output"
where you want your processed photos to go (which directories), what type of file (for example JPG and it's setting below for quality)
Take a look at the "Filename" on the screenshot done/{Filename}-1024-reduced
I did select as "Output" the "source folder", BUT because I did write in the {filename} done/ ("done" and a forward slash) xnconvert will create a folder done inside each folder/directories I drag n dropped in
{Filename} = keep the original file name, add whatever you want after, or rename, all the name will be the same ➤ but look below it ask at which number the index should start (here it's 1) in case the names are the same (myphoto-1.jpg, myphoto-2.jpg and so)

On the fifth tab "Setting" you have options that xnconvert keep your last used setting when it reopen and another option to keep them and use the latest script / Action

Once you're happy with your setting click Convert in the bottom button

As usual when you don't know a software yet,, don't work straight on original, prepare a directory with sample in it and even sub directories for your firsts tests Wink
I hope you will like it, it's very fast (more than 1 - 1.5 picture per second on my computer with the "Resize" action), but more you add filters/actions a bit longer it will take per picture.
Quote:What I expect to know is how to enhance the quality of the positive image on GIMP?
There are so many options HUE, Brightness, Color Balance, Color Temperature etc. What will be the steps? Which of the option should be edited first?

See: I do not have to quote everything.

These are monochrome negatives that you have inverted leaving a monochrome positive as the street scene in your previous post. So Hue, Color Balance / Temperature etc are not relevant.
You want to use Gimp, that is what this forum is about. Each image should really be considered in isolation and adjusted accordingly. One way is use the Color Curves tool.
...but you also want a batch process and that is not compatible with individual adjustment.

Best you will get for your specification is ;
Use the Color Curve on a typical image
Save the curve to a file
Use the curve in BIMP to apply to all the images.
(05-23-2022, 05:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:What I expect to know is how to enhance the quality of the positive image on GIMP?
There are so many options HUE, Brightness, Color Balance, Color Temperature etc. What will be the steps?  Which of the option should be edited first?

See: I do not have to quote everything.

These are monochrome negatives that you have inverted leaving a monochrome positive as the street scene in your previous post. So Hue, Color Balance / Temperature etc are not relevant.
You want to use Gimp, that is what this forum is about.  Each image should really be considered in isolation and adjusted accordingly. One way is use the Color Curves tool.
...but you also want a batch process and that is not compatible with individual adjustment.

Best you will get for your specification is ;
Use the Color Curve on a typical image
Save the curve to a file
Use the curve in BIMP to apply to all the images.
Thanks for your advice.

I'll start again, scanning a new set of color film negatives for testing.

I'll use Smartphone scanning without scan software installed.  Then I'll download them to computer and run
$ mogrify -negate *.*

converting them to positive_images and run XnConvert to post-edit them in batch.  I'll came back later.

The reason for me to edit an image on GIMP is to find a set of value re brightness/contrast/hue/color/sharpness etc. Which step should go first and their arrangement. Then use those values and steps to apply batch post-editing.  

Regards
(05-23-2022, 05:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Each image should really be considered in isolation and adjusted accordingly..//..but you also want a batch process and that is not compatible with individual adjustment.

I can't agree more!
There are many considerations to take before any batch process.
A folder full of pictures just scanned straight out via a phone, should not go in batch...

First The light... I don't know the condition you scanned those negative, but knowing you are using a phone... If you don't use a lightbox or lighttable with a constant lite, each picture will need a special attention, as the sun is moving, clouds can pass, etc... thus not a consistent light.
Also on the film, the photography were exposed with different light, at different time in different town, different weather... thus each photo need to be treated as unique IMHO, I would add, it might be a different type of film as well with different iso, different lenses, etc... so many variable to take in count at this point to do a batch

Doing an average adjustment to batch process all at once at this very first step will lead to disappointment on a lot of images if not 100% minus 1 picture  Undecided
Just my thoughts  Big Grin

EDIT: Just discovered that those pictures are colors https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Filter...y-of-image
Definitively not to batch!