Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best method for cutting out background?
I've been through tutorials on youtube...

Using Lasoo is OK for some parts. Not all.

Using layer mask + brush is OK... but edges are hit and miss - some OK, some not.

Is there a layer mask version of the Lasoo tool?
The thing is, once a part is deleted, I can't get it back.

Or... are there any other better methods?

Thanks.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
You can initiate a layermask from selection (right click menu).

There is no one best way. Its depends on the image.
For example, you cant select frizzy hair with the Lasso Tool or the Path Tool.

And some images just dont work at all.

Always use layermask for non destructive editing.
@Espermaschine thanks for the reply
I found a new way
Make layer mask
Use lasoo tool
Make selection (carefully - time consuiming!)
And then paint

Is this a good or bad way?
Well for quick and fun photoshopping joke type images, i make a selection with the Lasso Tool, while zoomed in real closely, then initiate a layermask from selection.
For stuff that needs to be very precise i use the Paths Tool to make the selection. But in my case i always use Inkscape because its much easier to get the curves right.

The removal of a background, thats like the holy grail of image manipulation. And a bit of a fetish.
From my experience you will very rarely need it and when you do, you chose an image that is suitable, instead of pulling your hair out in frustration over a tiny blurry one, with bad contrast.

Its a popular topic for videotutorials and there are a bunch of tricks you can apply (like making a layermask by desaturating an image and adjusting black and white points with the Levels Tool), but they dont always work in reality as the best case scenario of a tutorial wants to make you think.

As always, the most important question is: what are you trying to achieve and what is the best (image)material for the job ?
@Espermaschine thanks for the awesome reply.
I'm taking photos of trainers for a new ecommerce website I'm making to sell laces (not trainers).

I'm having trouble taking really good photos of the items.
I've got a Canon 60D (I think that's the model).
But... I prefer to use my mobile - LG V20.
I also have a big lightbox.

Today I took pics on just a white background.
I thought cutting out background wouldn't be too difficult.

I don't need pure white to be honest. Subtle grey gradients look OK.

On youtube, I saw some tutorials that showed how to adjust colour levels. I asked about this before... and was told that's not the proper way and is actually doing something else. Smile
It does do the trick 95%.
Problem is the edges are like 3% grey. If they're grey, then a little darker looks better. But if it's subtle... on the website looks a bit hit and miss.
That sounds more like a photography problem.
Im sure there are lots of youtube tutorials on how to properly light an item for product display.
@Espermaschine i'll look into. i think ur right.
inkscape: i looked this up. it's awesome. i'll use this for cutting out.